Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Dire Bare

Legend
I loved it! The first movie was better, IMO, but I still loved '84!

The movie started off too slowly for me, with too much wink-at-the-camera '80s cheese (with Gadot literally winking at the camera at one point) . . . but there was good reason to set this story in the '80s. As the stakes ramped up, I really began to enjoy the film.

The early battle against the mall-jewelry-store robbers was silly, annoyingly so. The flashback scenes of Themiscrya were breathtaking, again. The little girl who played young Diana in both films (Lilly Aspell) was again adorable and believable as the headstrong and arrogant young goddess.

Din Djarin, er, Pedro Pascal, was cheesy as Max Lord for the most part, but pulled off some really good stuff at the very end of the film. For most of the film his villain was very, well, comic-book and melodramatic. Kristin Wiig played a very believable transformation from nerdy scientist to sexy-dangerous Cheetah. Chris Pine was, well, he's one of the best Chrises for a reason, great as always.

Despite the '80s cheese surrounding her, I felt Gadot did a good job portraying Diana's heroism and sadness. The villain's motivations were understandable, although you didn't fully get Max Lord's until the final chapter in the movie. The action sequences were pretty awesome, although again, not quite to the same level as the first film.

Steve's return was fun, but ultimately tragic and sad. We got some fun cameos . . . Simon Stagg, Bialya, the invisible jet, the "Kingdom Come" golden armor (which looked fantastic on screen), the mid-credits scene . . . FUN!

The film also stayed true to the themes of the first film, that love and truth will save the day, which was put up against the VERY '80s greed and selfishness of Maxwell Lord, and also Barbara Minerva

I watched WW84 on HBOMax, and made the foolish decision to watch the DC Fandome half-hour special before the film . . . that was awful, skip that!

Mallus

Legend
I loved it, too!

It's not just set in 1984, it's a modern day recreation of a summer blockbuster from the mid-1980s. You could slot a Ghostbuster or Eddie Murphy and the Golden Child in and it would be a perfect fit. Heck, it has more in common with Disney live-action movies from the 1970s (see Friday, Freaky) than a Snyder DC film (which I like, BTW).

Wiig and Pascal are fantastic (as are Gadot & Pine, of course).

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
I loved it, too!

It's not just set in 1984, it's a modern day recreation of a summer blockbuster from the mid-1980s. You could slot a Ghostbuster or Eddie Murphy and the Golden Child in and it would be a perfect it. Heck, it has more in common with Disney live-action movies from the 1970s (see Friday, Freaky) than a Snyder DC film (which I like, BTW).

Wiig and Pascal are fantastic (as are Gadot & Pine, of course).
Yeah, I agree that they were trying to make the film in the style of an 80s family blockbuster film . . . . but having grown up in the 80s, I think there are things we can leave behind . . . .

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I actually caught a continuity error. It's the first time I noticed one. After they pick up the papers, some are sticking out of the briefcase. It goes back and forth with papers sticking out and not.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's a bit of an issue over consent in there that they probably really should have addressed. I'm rather surprised they didn't, as it could likely have been dealt with in a sentence or two.

Dire Bare

Legend
There's a bit of an issue over consent in there that they probably really should have addressed. I'm rather surprised they didn't, as it could likely have been dealt with in a sentence or two.
That bothered me a bit, the random dude Steve magically took over . . . neither Steve nor Diana seemed to give it much thought. Granted, the action takes place rather quickly, perhaps they could have discussed the issue if they had any calm moments. But in Diana's agonizing over renouncing her wish and losing Steve again, you'd think at least Steve would have reminded her about the poor guy whose body he "stole".

Mallus

Legend
It did bug me not a line of dialog was spent addressing the fact Trevor was displacing another person. Which was made a bit better by the fact he seemed to understand the arrangement was temporary.

Argyle King

Legend
I think it was okay, but I wouldn't say that I think it was good.

Both of the WW movies seem to have the same problem (to me): they start strong but start to go downhill after about the 30-40 minute mark; the endings and villains tend to be pretty blah.

Remove ads