• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wonder Woman Out Dec 16th

Zardnaar

Legend
Warner also just announced that all of their 2021 releases will be in theaters and HBO Max. AMC stock took a hit. Hopefully the theaters recover. It would be a pretty boring world if you could not go out to the movies.

AMC and some others really hurting. If they don't release might not be much left to release to.

Just checked the arty farty cinema is doing British movie marathon. Flash Gordon, Monty Python etc $10.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
AMC and some others really hurting. If they don't release might not be much left to release to.

Just checked the arty farty cinema is doing British movie marathon. Flash Gordon, Monty Python etc $10.
Dont quote me on this but I think AMC here in NYS either filed for Bankruptcy or are merging with/being bought out another cinema chain. Regardless dont think theyre doing well.

A theater not far from me have been playing the Holy Grail, the Excorcist and other movies on weekends for at least 15 years. So they either knew something everyone else didnt or have been in financial dire straights for a long time.

Zardnaar

Legend
Dont quote me on this but I think AMC here in NYS either filed for Bankruptcy or are merging with/being bought out another cinema chain. Regardless dont think theyre doing well.

A theater not far from me have been playing the Holy Grail, the Excorcist and other movies on weekends for at least 15 years. So they either knew something everyone else didnt or have been in financial dire straights for a long time.

AMC was something like 5 billion in debt before Covid landed iirc.

It's possible a few go under, streaming doesn't pay the bills yet for the blockbuster films.

R_J_K75

Legend
AMC was something like 5 billion in debt before Covid landed iirc.

It's possible a few go under, streaming doesn't pay the bills yet for the blockbuster films.
When I was young General Cinemas was the major cinema chain around here, with there being one or two AMC theaters. Dipson opened one theater in the mid 80s downtown. Then in the late 80s Regal came in a took over and General Cinemas seemed to disappear over night, the Dipson downtown became rundown but survived, a Flix opened in a suburb and there was one maybe 2 drive-ins left I can remember. Before the pandemic hit, Regal upgraded all their theaters, the downtown Dipson was renovated and started serving higher scale food and alcohol, the drive-in and Flix were barely hanging on. As of the pandemic the drive-in did well this summer, Regals re-opened in August and closed again the middle of November and I bet everything else Im guessing never re-opened and probably never will. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out post pandemic.

Zardnaar

Legend
When I was young General Cinemas was the major cinema chain around here, with there being one or two AMC theaters. Dipson opened one theater in the mid 80s downtown. Then in the late 80s Regal came in a took over and General Cinemas seemed to disappear over night, the Dipson downtown became rundown but survived, a Flix opened in a suburb and there was one maybe 2 drive-ins left I can remember. Before the pandemic hit, Regal upgraded all their theaters, the downtown Dipson was renovated and started serving higher scale food and alcohol, the drive-in and Flix were barely hanging on. As of the pandemic the drive-in did well this summer, Regals re-opened in August and closed again the middle of November and I bet everything else Im guessing never re-opened and probably never will. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out post pandemic.

Yeah if the movie theaters fall over the studios are kinda stuffed.

There's two local movies on. One has Sam Neil (Jurassic Park) and sheep, the others a documentary.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Think its smart. Theres sometimes movies that I want to see but dont want to go opening weekend so I wait, never end up going and then never bother watching it when it comes out on PPV. Something like this may actually get me to buy a PPV like WW84 or Dune in the first few days. I can even have all the free popcorn, pepsi, hotdogs, pizza and beer I want.

I don't believe what they are talking about is PPV. HBO Max is subscription-based.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah if the movie theaters fall over the studios are kinda stuffed.

With respect, no. For one thing, the streaming services exist. HBO Max is likely going to get a ton of subscriptions - which are like your household buying at least one ticket a month.

For another, even if some theater chains do collapse, with vaccines we are probably looking at return to something approaching normalcy in, say, a year. Those theaters WILL be bought and re-opened by someone who wants to cash in on all the folks who have been cooped up and are yearning for experiences outside the home. I don't think there's a credible chance that they'll remain closed for long beyond broad community vaccination.

Zsong

Explorer
Maybe we can have kickstarters with stretch goals that go over 1 billion dollars. Stranger things have happened in 2020.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
True, you are correct in the traditional sense of PPV/VOD. I probably used the wrong word but to me if Im subscribing Im paying to view.
Yeah, PPV is "Pay Per View" - meaning you pay a fee for each individual thing you watch. VOD is video on demand - the program starts when you want it, not on a timed schedule.

HBO Max is VOD, but not PPV.

Remove ads