D&D 5E Wording of Hex Warrior

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It doesn't get the ability modifier to damage because the spell states exactly it does 2d8 damage not that it does 2d8 damage +ability modifier. ...But Yes, its 2d8 and more then damage on average than a 1d6+5 which is my point.
Interesting take.

Since it counts as a simple melee weapon, I would certainly add the ability modifier when it is the first weapon. After all, don't you add the ability modifier to the attack roll? If so, you should apply it to the damage roll as well IMO.

Did I quick search, and apparently Jeremy Crawford's ruling is that shadow blade is a melee weapon so all the normal melee weapon rules apply (including when to add or not add your ability modifier to damage).

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Interesting take.

Since it counts as a simple melee weapon, I would certainly add the ability modifier when it is the first weapon. After all, don't you add the ability modifier to the attack roll? If so, you should apply it to the damage roll as well IMO.
I was going to prove you wrong with a sage advice post... but proved you correct and me wrong instead. I was thinking that as a spell it would over right that damage with its stated damage using to hit as a melee but apply the effect of the spell on hit, so for example if you could summon a dagger of sleepiness you would roll to hit but on hit you would do no damage but instead apply the sleep effect knocking the target unconscious if there HP was lower than a number rolled on dice. (I of course just made this weapon up for illustration purposes). This actually makes more since to me since its more flexible for spells and they just add " plus damage equal to the ability modifier used to wield the shadowblade". I of course see a number of other people jumping on my mistake.

I admit it. I was wrong.

Still its a viable off hand weapon for an hexblade since only pact weapon can benefit from Thirsty Blade and the damage (even forfeiting the ability modifier for damage as an off hand) is still higher than any mundane weapon which qualifies for for offhand that is including with the dual wielder feat. The benefit of two weapon fighting fighting style is pretty minor considering over all and scaling damage of the shadowblade.

Hu?

When you use your pact of the blade feature it becomes a magical version of the weapon you choose, so if you want to duel wield you can choose a shortsword and it will be considered light and finesse.

the shadow blade is finesse and light, and thrown properties (range 20/60) per the spell so it qualifies as an off hand.

This was brought up in response to "discount two weapon fighting" which adds your ability score to the damage of your off hand attack:
The Shadow Blade is light, but in order to dual wield both weapons must be light. So, for example, you could dual wield a shadow blade + shortsword, but not shadow blade + longsword.

Did I quick search, and apparently Jeremy Crawford's ruling is that shadow blade is a melee weapon so all the normal melee weapon rules apply (including when to add or not add your ability modifier to damage).
Which bring me pack to my wrinkle. As per RAW, one of the "normal melee weapons" rules is you can summon one as a pact weapon. So, as per RAW your pact weapon can be a Shadow Blade.

Shadow blade isn't really the most basic way to mess with that wording. It could also justify a Large, Huge, or Gargantuan version of a standard weapon, as found in monster statblocks. But I think it's obvious that the intent of the power is not to allow you to summon a weapon type that is too big for you to wield or that can only be conjured through a specific spell.

Remove ads