World Cup Thread?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The offsides camera disallowing goals for tiny portions of hands, arms and feet being offsides is pretty annoying. I mean, I played sweeper (back when teams still used them) my entire soccer career, and ran a relentless offsides trap defense, so while I appreciate the exact calls, and I have little pity for strikers, sure seems like the rule needs to be amended to 25% of torso or something if they can be that exact. A waggling hand should not be offsides.

Eh, people will adjust. I'd rather have consistency through the technology (like this) so long as it is fast and evenly applied .... all of which appears to be the case ... than have the egregious calls that we've seen in the past.

Now if only they had some sort of "hand ball" technology, like, I dunno, eyes ... back in 1986. Who knows what might have happened? :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So England will go through as long as Wales doesn't beat them by 4 goals tomorrow. Fairly optimistic about that!

Eh, people will adjust. I'd rather have consistency through the technology (like this) so long as it is fast and evenly applied .... all of which appears to be the case ... than have the egregious calls that we've seen in the past.
This is what I'm most concerned about.
Do they call to use the tech for every goal or is it only for forcing certain results?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This is what I'm most concerned about.
Do they call to use the tech for every goal or is it only for forcing certain results?

They have the sensors in the balls and use hawkeye technology (the same used in tennis for serves).

It's not used all the time (in other words, they don't retroactively apply it for an offside call which would disrupt the flow of the game) but it is triggered by the AI (human) to the VAR official (human), and then the VAR official will notify the on-field referee.

But no, I don't think they are "forcing" results.

ETA- then again ... FIFA. ¯\(ツ)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
That explains why our team wants to go home as quickly as possible. Back in Germany we wouldn't even know what to do with this weird beverage. It's some kind of alcoholic drink we guess? But we rather drink be beer so no need for his budweiser stuff
Hilariously, they took the name in the late 19th century, from a famous Bohemian beer.

The first time I visited Prague I decided that Budweiser Budvar was my new favorite beer. Sadly, while they do sell it in the US under the brand name of Czechvar, it's not as nice (much like how Heineken outside of the Netherlands is kind of sub-par, but on draft in NLD is quite tasty).

Why does FIFA still exist? Seems like about 5 European countries and 2 South American could get together and start a replacement that would have immediate legitimacy, a World Cup w/o Brazil and France wouldn’t count, countries would join the new one, which sure, might immediately become just as corrupt…but why doesn’t that happen when it’s pretty much agreed that FIFA iis so awful and corrupt?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
3-0… we’re safely through! Now the real contest begins. Sunday night vs Senegal, looks like.

Horwath

Legend
The offsides camera disallowing goals for tiny portions of hands, arms and feet being offsides is pretty annoying. I mean, I played sweeper (back when teams still used them) my entire soccer career, and ran a relentless offsides trap defense, so while I appreciate the exact calls, and I have little pity for strikers, sure seems like the rule needs to be amended to 25% of torso or something if they can be that exact. A waggling hand should not be offsides.
hand is not called for offside.

camera only looks at part of body that can be used to legally score a goal. So shoulder is only part of arm that is looked at.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases