World of Darkness is also coming to TV!

It's not just Dungeons & Dragons, or this week's announced Scion TV show, that are getting the live-action treatment. The World of Darkness is getting a TV and movie franchise too! According to Deadline, Paradox Interactive (owner of the World of Darkness) and The Witcher and The Expanse studio Hivemind. Writer-producer Christine Boylan said "“The World of Darkness story universe is...

It's not just Dungeons & Dragons, or this week's announced Scion TV show, that are getting the live-action treatment. The World of Darkness is getting a TV and movie franchise too!

Vampmasq.jpg

According to Deadline, Paradox Interactive (owner of the World of Darkness) and The Witcher and The Expanse studio Hivemind.

Writer-producer Christine Boylan said "“The World of Darkness story universe is deliberately and unapologetically inclusive and diverse. It has always made a point of including equal gendered characters, protagonists and antagonists of every race, and representation of all creeds – bringing a female and diverse audience to gaming like nothing prior. Its games and fandom are a place where women, POC, and the LGBTQI community feel welcome and we are very proud to bring these stories to life.”

The developer, Eric Heisserer is the showrunner for Netflix's current Shadow and Bone series.

k.jpg

It's not WoD's first appearance on TV. Back in 1996, a short-lived 8-episode series called Kindred: The Embraced was broadcast.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m not anti but is there still a market for Vampire TV? I’d have thought that was quite a crowded niche

dave2008

Legend
For those who don't know (like me), what are the similarities between Underworld & VtM / WoD?

PS I've seen the Underworld movies, but know nothing about WoD.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For those who don't know (like me), what are the similarities between Underworld & VtM / WoD?

Ancient blood feud between the two nations of vampires and werewolves, each of whom uses a silly name for their own people and have complex hierarchies with high ranking jerk leaders in charge.

All of the mega-violence between them somehow never gets seen by the general public, either because one side, usually the vampires, controls the media (and, um, I guess cell phones; it sort of falls apart nowadays) and police, or because people are just too scared to believe what they saw is real.

Also, everyone is super into black latex bodywear.

And that city will be Vancouver.
I dunno if they all film there anymore, not like they did in the '90s and early '00s. I think tax incentives elsewhere have really spread out where filming is taking place. There was definitely a certain period when that was nigh-guaranteed though.

Basically Underworld is to World of Darkness as, say, World of Warcraft is to D&D, like, deeply, deeply inspired by it, but waaaaaaay dumber and shallow as a puddle.

dave2008

Legend
I dunno if they all film there anymore, not like they did in the '90s and early '00s. I think tax incentives elsewhere have really spread out where filming is taking place. There was definitely a certain period when that was nigh-guaranteed though.

Basically Underworld is to World of Darkness as, say, World of Warcraft is to D&D, like, deeply, deeply inspired by it, but waaaaaaay dumber and shallow as a puddle.
That doesn't help me either - I've never played WoW and know almost nothing about it!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads