• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[World of Warcraft] Anyone else playing the open beta?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
It may be same ol', same ol'; not having played in the genre, it all seemed pretty new to me.

I never came close to running out of quests, however: if, by chance, I came close to ending all the quests in one area, I just needed to go to the next area over to get another dozen quests on my logbook. As the stress test ends, I've got well over a dozen quests in four different areas that I can work on, some trivially easy, others nearly impossible. I know that if I want to finish any of the difficult ones, I'll need to find someone to work with--or else I'll need to spend awhile levelling up or creating healing potions.

From the way Blizzard has talked about the game's development, I expect that the number of quests will continue all the way up to the level cap, and beyond, as they introduce "hero classes," whatever those are.

As for rogues, while they do get sneaking, they also get plenty of other stuff. From the WoW rogue page:

Typical Battle
Sneak up behind the monster using Stealth. Perform a Backstab, Ambush, Cheap Shot, or DOT on the monster. Then begin combat with the monster. Start using Sinister Strike to build up combo points. Then release with a DOT, direct damage finishing move such as Eviscerate, or use Slice and Dice. Now build up combo points again using Sinister Strike. You should always perform a move the second you have enough energy unless you're building up more energy for a more powerful ability. A common mistake among novice Rogues is to not use their abilities enough.
Rogue Combos
Use Gouge to stun a monster during a battle. Then use a Backstab from behind. You will need enough energy for this to work otherwise the monster will wake up before you can do your Backstab.
Use Sinister Strike to build up combo points. Then use Slice-N-Dice after earning a couple of Combo Points. Now gain more Combo points using Sinister Strike again. Now release with Eviscerate.
Use Cheap Shot to stun a monster at the start of combat. Then power up additional combo points with abilities like Sinister Strike while the monster cannot move.
And that doesn't go into poison use, sprinting, pickpocketing, or a handful of other stuff that rogues can do. Each class has got a lot of options.

Daniel

mattcolville

Adventurer
Pielorinho said:
It may be same ol', same ol'; not having played in the genre, it all seemed pretty new to me.

I never came close to running out of quests, however: if, by chance, I came close to ending all the quests in one area, I just needed to go to the next area over to get another dozen quests on my logbook. As the stress test ends, I've got well over a dozen quests in four different areas that I can work on, some trivially easy, others nearly impossible. I know that if I want to finish any of the difficult ones, I'll need to find someone to work with--or else I'll need to spend awhile levelling up or creating healing potions.

From the way Blizzard has talked about the game's development, I expect that the number of quests will continue all the way up to the level cap, and beyond, as they introduce "hero classes," whatever those are.

Dude, they're prestige classes.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
:D I'm guessing you're not far off--but these are PrCs that'll only be available once you hit level 50 or something. Also, I'm not sure whether there will be multiple options, or whether a Warrior, for example, can only progress as a Warrior Hero.

Anyway, the stress test finally just ended, and in the last two hours of play I discovered multiple cool new features. I've got a huge crush on all the game designers at Blizzard now.

Daniel

Wrahn

First Post
They have been pretty vague about Hero Classes. They are not currently in the game and may not even make Beta. What they have said is pretty cryptic. When talking about high end content (read max level content) they talk about 3 things, Player versus Player, Horde versus alliance wars. They talk about raiding (gathering 34 of your closest friends and take on really, really powerful stuff) and working towards Hero Classes.

Note the working towards. That is about all the concrete information I have. Speculation is that once you reach 60 you do some incredibly hard quest which will allow you to start over at level one as a new hero class, but who knows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads