• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[World of Warcraft] Anyone else playing the open beta?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Starting Friday evening, I've been playing the WoW open beta a ridiculous amount. Oh My God, but it's an addictive and fun game. I've never played a MMORPG before (well, excepting the MUDs, MOOs, and MUSHes of the early nineties), and had no idea how great they could be.

This is gonna be the first one I buy.

Anyone else playing? What's your character?
Daniel

mattcolville

Adventurer
I've been in since the Alpha, but the Open Beta servers are a different set than the normal Blizzard servers.

Yeah, I'll be buying it too. Great game, tons of fun.

Angcuru

First Post
Well, I haven't so perhaps you can tell me about it from your experience. Specifically...

Is it mindless go out, kill stuff, buy stuff, repeat process? Or do you have REAL quests and missions other than go get this thingy for me-style 'missions'?

Is there voice/speech for anything?

How is the skill/level system?

Etc. Stuff, anecdotes.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Well, it sort of is, and sort of isn't, a hackenslasher. There's a lot of fighting in the game, and most quests consist of going out and killing X named foe, or kill a certain number of a certain type of foes, or collect a certain number of items off of the bodies of a certain type of enemy.

THere are other types of quests, however, including bar quests. Two examples of these:
1) If you're Alliance (human, dwarf, night elf, or gnome), you can help a gnomish brewer play a practical joke on his rival dwarvish brewer, by sneaking into the dwarf's basement and replacing a cask of the famous dwarven ale with a cask of funky-spiked ale.
2) Similarly, if you're Horder (undead, troll, tauren, or orc), you can help an undead apothecary test out a new poison on a dwarfish prisoner, by gathering spider venom sacs for the apothecary; he'll then brew up a fake dwarven ale with the poison in it, which you give to the prisoner, who drinks it and then dies in agony.

So not all the quests are killing quests, though most of them are. Fortunately, the combat is a lot of fun: a one-on-one battle lasts about thirty seconds to a minute, and you'll spend that time mixing and matching your special moves to maximize your chances of success. In an average thirty-second battle, I'll do about three or four special maneuvers in addition to my basic attack. If you party up with other players, your options increase dramatically.

I've not encountered voice and speech, but I can't say for sure whether that'll be included in the final game.

The game uses both skills and levels. You gain a skill point every 600 XP, I believe, meaning you gain more and more as the game goes on; you spend skill points to gain a single level in a skill. Learning how to mine minerals might cost 5 skill points; learning to use two-handed swords might cost 30. Once you learn a skill, every time you use it successfully your level in the skill goes up by 1 until you reach max in that skill. Gaining a level qualifies you for higher maximums in skills, as well as for new abilities and spells, and increases your basic stats (strength, spirit, etc.)

Mostly what impresses me about the game is the attention to detail, and the gorgeous environments. Apparently in most games, travelling between regions involves a cutscene; in WoW, it's all real-time. The undead will hop on a giant bat in order to traverse great distances, and in real-time you'll fly over hills and valleys, across farms, through volcanic regions, and so forth. As I'm wandering the game's immense areas, every now and then I'll look up in the sky to see a zeppelin floating overhead; I know that there are players on that zeppelin looking down at me on the ground.

Daniel

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Also, I just read that they'll probably be running an open beta before the game's release; I'll post back here if and when they open it up.

I've been browsing the WoW forums, and it turns out that I'm not the only person who's never liked the idea of a MMORPG before and has been totally hooked by this one. I definitely recommend giving it a try if you can. It's so dang fun.

And I hear the higher levels are even better, as you start getting into the wartime politics and arcane intrigues between the races.

Daniel

mattcolville

Adventurer
They're currently recording voice for the game. There's already a lot of PC emotes and stuff, but the classic Blizzard "click on me to hear my grunts" stuff will be in the release.

I wrote a review of the Beta back in May, but it's largely obsolete. I'll probably write another review once I hit max level, which should be around when the game comes out.

driver8

First Post
I got an invite tonite, so Im downloading. Ill try it out, but for the most part Im sort of burned out on the whole MMO experience. WoW looks to be a fine example of the genre, but the genre itself still doesnt offer a whole lot in the way of "gameplay" like alot of single player games do.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Mofos extended the stress test last night, until Sunday; my addiction isn't as close to being over as I'd hoped :(.

Daniel

Rugger

Explorer
My girlfriend was ever so pleased to hear that they extended it to sunday! :]

I have played UO, EQ and DAoC, and this is by far my favorite. The combination of a fun and active combat system, LOTSA quests for good XP and gear, and the charming Warcraft imagery really gets me.

I'm on Ysera as Quinn (gnome rogue lvl 8). On Kahzgoroth, I'm Rotcolon (Undead Warrior 14) and VulSha (Orc Shaman 10).

I loves it I do...you can play a bit and feel like you accomplished something...so little downtime...

-Rugger

Nareau

Explorer
Yeah, as you know, I'm in the same camp. Played some MUDs back in the day, have always disdained the MMORPGs ever since.

WoW is great fun. I guess part of what I didn't like about MMORPG's is that I always thought you had to work with groups of foul-mouthed, moronic, 13-year-old boys in order to succeed or have fun. But WoW is lots of fun to play solo. And there are some pretty nice/cool people online.

BTW, I'm Nareau (Dwarf Paladin 13) on the Malygros server.

Spider

Remove ads