WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios. According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters: Wyll, Human Warlock Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter Gale, Human Wizard Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue And you'll be able to create characters using these...

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

The Divinity Engine was changed by 70% to 80%, it supports alot of stuff it didn't used to.
You could do it, but the issue is more to do with the practicalities of what is shown on the screen being easily comprehensible to the player. The same as playing with minis on a tabletop, it can get extremely tricky to represent 3D movement. You get minis balanced on stack of dice. And even more than a tabletop a computer screen is limited to 2 dimensions.

It would be easier to do with a VR setup, but that's not what BG3 is being developed for.

Li Shenron

Legend
One of my favourite parts of the demo video, is when he explains how sneaking or hiding works:

• you can't sneak in bright light (you're caught on sight)
  • you can sneak in dim light (but have to roll)
  • you can sneak in darkness (no roll needed)

Takes 10 seconds or so to explain, aaah the joy... :)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, at least we're getting legitimate differences of opinions here on preferred styles of gameplay. In other corners of the internet I haunt, we're getting people insisting that Larian actively despises the original BG games and their fans because they didn't use isometric view enough in the game demo presentation. Or how the game is destined to be terrible because the name "Astarion" etymologically doesn't fit anywhere in FR.

You might be thinking, Gradine, they couldn't possibly still be talking about how "Astarion" isn't an appropriate Elven name for Forgotten Realms, and that how this is proof that the devs are lazy cash-grubbers who don't care about Baldur's Gate or the Realms at all, or all they had to do was some very basic research on Forgotten Realms Elven naming conventions! It's been almost a week. There cannot possibly still be a person making this exact argument six days later.

You'd be wrong though!

PS: In case you're wondering (and I know you are) but Shadowheart? That gets a pass.

Astarion is actually elvish for "soulless corporate cash-grab" though, so it still sends the wrong message.
Actually it's literally Elvish for "Of Loyalty"

But I can see where your biases lie, and as a fan of the original Baldur's Gate games, with very little experience with the Divinity games, the stuff we have seen so far looks really cool to me.

slobster

Hero
Actually it's literally Elvish for "Of Loyalty"

But I can see where your biases lie, and as a fan of the original Baldur's Gate games, with very little experience with the Divinity games, the stuff we have seen so far looks really cool to me.
:D My post was actually a joke, I'm super stoked about BG3 and have posted a bunch of hype about it here on the forums.

Every time I look at a post and think "okay that's so hyperbolic nobody could take it seriously, I can leave out the /s", it turns out that the internet is not a place where any statement can really be "too hyperbolic to be taken seriously".

:D My post was actually a joke, I'm super stoked about BG3 and have posted a bunch of hype about it here on the forums.

Every time I look at a post and think "okay that's so hyperbolic nobody could take it seriously, I can leave out the /s", it turns out that the internet is not a place where any statement can really be "too hyperbolic to be taken seriously".
Yeah sorry. Hard to see joking over text my bad.

Remove ads

Remove ads