Worlds of Design: Is Combat Now Passe?

In April 2020 my column was titled “Is Fighting Evil Passé?” Readers pointed out that it was a misleading title, and it was: my original title was “Is Fighting Evil the Focus of Your Campaign?” This time I want to address what the published title suggested.

What percentage of time in your RPG play (as player or GM) is spent in lethal combat?

In April 2020 my column was titled “Is Fighting Evil Passé?” Readers pointed out that it was a misleading title, and that's because the editor changed it [Ed note: Yep!]. My original title was “Is Fighting Evil the Focus of Your Campaign?” This time I want to address what my proposed title suggested.

knight-3038799_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

I’ve modified the question from “fighting” to “combat,” because fighting is going to occasionally occur in the lives of special characters who often have military-style training, if only in a bar-room or as part of the typical love triangles and other expressions of lust and greed.

So, is combat now passé? Keep in mind that virtually all of the original D&D players were wargamers. We were accustomed to playing games where there was a battle if not many battles. I’m using the term "combat" here to mean deadly skirmishes rather than scuffles, events where people/creatures get killed rather than they get a bloody nose or a broken limb.

But now the vast majority of new D&D players don’t play wargames; they may not play other (non-RPG) games at all. In that case it’s easy to imagine that many players are not much interested in combat. This reminds me of something my wife said the other day (keep in mind I met my wife through D&D and she played for about 15 years). She prefers the first book of the Lord of the Rings because she’s not interested in the battles that occupy so much of the other two books. Even in Moria, the Fellowship’s purpose was to get through without a fight, not to fight the Balrog.

Perhaps the change in science fiction and fantasy we’ve seen since 1980 has also made a difference. Stories now are far more often about people and their motivations and daily difficulties, more about shades of gray rather than black and white, and much less about Adventure with a capital “A.” That has conditioned people not to look for battles.

In a well-realized setting/world, there ought to be lots of things to do, including lots of conflicts, that don’t end with life and death fighting. Politics, business success, greed and lust (which seem to power most of the dramas you see on TV), exploration, there are lots of alternatives to adventuring and killing. This might not be satisfactory to the old guard D&Ders but may be fine for newer players.

Another approach is to have frequent battles that could theoretically result in death, but virtually never result in player character death, only the death of the opposition. I suspect that’s where a lot of campaigns have gone, just as the rules of the games have gone that way. I remember playing in the “D&D Essentials” games with the Fourth Edition rules, and being shocked when a couple of player characters died, because it was so, well, difficult to die! Yet Fourth Edition was all about combats and little else. (I always try to make sure everyone in my party (as a player) lives unless they do something really stupid, but I guess these two were behaving so foolishly I had to ignore them, or I might have somehow saved them.) When I first read the Fifth Edition rules I noted the rules and spells that made it difficult for anyone to be killed, such as the third level cleric spell Revivify. It’s “a far piece” from how it was with original D&D where you had to husband every hit point and often had to decide to run away or even leave the adventure for lack of hit points.

How does it work in your campaign? Let me know in the poll and in the comments.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

thealmightyn

Explorer
If we're talking specifically about Dungeons & Dragons, then combat is not and never will be passé. The game itself is primarily built around the notion of combat being almost central to the experience: the most key class mechanics are there to bolster your chances of surviving a combat encounter.

What's passé is the notion of games being out and out combat with little to no role-playing, which was much more the way things were back in the olden days of the game. It'll always be fun to bust out a funhouse dungeon every once in a while, but with the shift of the D&D market thanks to Critical Role and other similar performances, role-playing is as necessary an aspect of the game as any other.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that given any random D&D group, the most memorable and dramatic events will be within combat encounters or will be at least "combat adjacent." And I say this as a DM whose group had one of their most memorable and dramatic sequences last night at the very end of what was intended to be a rather mundane combat encounter and in the aftermath due to the role-playing involved.

thealmightyn

Explorer
4e was only about combat? sigh. It was about whatever a table made it about. Ever hear of skill challenges?

You can make virtually any game about whatever you wanted to make it about. 4th Edition was objectively very much focused on the combat aspect of the game, however. It was very explicitly a miniatures battle game with a side of role-playing and exploration, and that hyper focus on the one tier at the expense of the others (along with arguably terrible mechanics) was a key component of why that edition fared so poorly.

thealmightyn

Explorer
ndeed, right at it infancy, TTRPG produced a number of well known and popular non-combat focused games with key titles such as Call of Cthulhu and Pendragon.

I suppose you could call that time the infancy of TTRPGs when looking at the full span of it to today, but Dungeons & Dragons had been around for 7 years by the time Cthulhu came out and for 11 years by the time Pendragon did and a commercial success also well before those two games were conceived.

Granted, RPG "history" tends to be skewed in favor of Dungeons & Dragons, but considering its history, that's not too surprising.

Hence, to say that D&D or RPG in general was all combat back then is a misinform opinion. Many players have done RP for a long time.

No, it's a pretty accurate statement, at least specifically in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons. This isn't to say that nobody role-played as part of a "role-playing" game, but that the game was very much hyper focused on the combat and, to a lesser degree, exploration aspects of the game with very little to inform the role-playing "pillar" as it were. I mean, virtually every class/racial feature in the earlier editions of the game was very much combat- or exploration-oriented (mostly the former), and the ubiquity of combat-less sessions, "shopping episodes", etc. is relatively new (again, not to say that these things never existed before but that they were simply uncommon in comparison to modules that were essentially all combat or mostly combat with a side of exploration).

werecorpse

Adventurer
I haven’t read all the responses but the first thing that sprung to mind when reading the op was that I thought old style games were all about avoiding combat and being cunning about getting treasure because gold=Xp whereas subsequent CR of creature =xp made them all about combat. Now old style was all about combat and new is about roleplay?

For me combat is fun but at a shallow level, like space invaders was fun. Story engages.

Phion

Explorer
I have gone through a range of phases often based on my own level of maturity (or lack of) and to be honest group expectations

Beginner= Murder hobo, always starting fights and not caring about story RP. I was a reluctant participant to the game as I was more into my sports and martial arts so I just went a fighter. I probably made the sessions 85% of time pure combat because that's how I decided to play regardless of the table

3 years down the line= Started to enjoy the game and took others feelings about more in consideration, got a pep talk from DM's and they wanted me to move away from being focused on combat and try to se if I could talk my way out of it. Basically I was actually quite good at this and the fight rate dropped dramatically for group. Dropped to the 15-20% mark at most.

These days= Just depends on the character now, some of the players missed my old approach because we were getting too good at avoiding combat and I missed it as well so occasionally I just play as a simple minded character. W can end up anywhere on he scale except the extremely low percentage or extremely high percentage.

Yes, there are new gamers coming to D&D with different expectations. Yes, some of those expectations were formed by a changing fantasy fiction landscape. And many seem to be more interested in deep PC backgrounds and social role-playing than was typically 10 or 20 years ago.

But let's not kid ourselves - most fantasy fans still enjoy combat and violent action. The most popular CRPGs are still built around combat: Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, the Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age. Highly violent and action-oriented fantasy by GRR Martin, Joe Abercrombie, Mark Sullivan, Steven Erikson, and Brandon Sanderson still dominate the bestseller lists. Adjacent hobbies like tabletop miniatures and CCGs are still going strong. Action-oriented-fantasy is a huge market, and it isn't going anywhere.

Is there a growing demand to enable other kinds of stories? There seems to be. But to me, that means there's opportunity for a different RPG to enter the market in a big way. Something built from the ground up around PC backgrounds and character-driven drama. It would be a mistake for WotC to abandon its core premise and structure to cater to a new audience - the last time they tried to switch horses in mid-ride they made a big mistake.

Maybe WotC will ignore the conventional wisdom around fracturing the player-base and create that game themselves - Dungeons and Dragon Sagas.

To sum up:

1) Some games are more combat focused, some are less.

2) This is not new, as soon as D&D was first published people saw it's potential for less combat focused storytelling.

3) There is no trend. Some people like more combat, some like less, it has always been this way and is likely to continue to be this way.

Ravenbrook

Explorer
Movies and video games do a lot to push the needle toward the Combat side. So I'm not sure that the current generation of players are a bunch of pacifists.
In my experience, combat is as prevalent now as it was 35 years ago even though many of the players in my group weren't even born yet back then.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads