Worlds of Design: Is Combat Now Passe?

In April 2020 my column was titled “Is Fighting Evil Passé?” Readers pointed out that it was a misleading title, and it was: my original title was “Is Fighting Evil the Focus of Your Campaign?” This time I want to address what the published title suggested.

What percentage of time in your RPG play (as player or GM) is spent in lethal combat?

In April 2020 my column was titled “Is Fighting Evil Passé?” Readers pointed out that it was a misleading title, and that's because the editor changed it [Ed note: Yep!]. My original title was “Is Fighting Evil the Focus of Your Campaign?” This time I want to address what my proposed title suggested.

knight-3038799_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

I’ve modified the question from “fighting” to “combat,” because fighting is going to occasionally occur in the lives of special characters who often have military-style training, if only in a bar-room or as part of the typical love triangles and other expressions of lust and greed.

So, is combat now passé? Keep in mind that virtually all of the original D&D players were wargamers. We were accustomed to playing games where there was a battle if not many battles. I’m using the term "combat" here to mean deadly skirmishes rather than scuffles, events where people/creatures get killed rather than they get a bloody nose or a broken limb.

But now the vast majority of new D&D players don’t play wargames; they may not play other (non-RPG) games at all. In that case it’s easy to imagine that many players are not much interested in combat. This reminds me of something my wife said the other day (keep in mind I met my wife through D&D and she played for about 15 years). She prefers the first book of the Lord of the Rings because she’s not interested in the battles that occupy so much of the other two books. Even in Moria, the Fellowship’s purpose was to get through without a fight, not to fight the Balrog.

Perhaps the change in science fiction and fantasy we’ve seen since 1980 has also made a difference. Stories now are far more often about people and their motivations and daily difficulties, more about shades of gray rather than black and white, and much less about Adventure with a capital “A.” That has conditioned people not to look for battles.

In a well-realized setting/world, there ought to be lots of things to do, including lots of conflicts, that don’t end with life and death fighting. Politics, business success, greed and lust (which seem to power most of the dramas you see on TV), exploration, there are lots of alternatives to adventuring and killing. This might not be satisfactory to the old guard D&Ders but may be fine for newer players.

Another approach is to have frequent battles that could theoretically result in death, but virtually never result in player character death, only the death of the opposition. I suspect that’s where a lot of campaigns have gone, just as the rules of the games have gone that way. I remember playing in the “D&D Essentials” games with the Fourth Edition rules, and being shocked when a couple of player characters died, because it was so, well, difficult to die! Yet Fourth Edition was all about combats and little else. (I always try to make sure everyone in my party (as a player) lives unless they do something really stupid, but I guess these two were behaving so foolishly I had to ignore them, or I might have somehow saved them.) When I first read the Fifth Edition rules I noted the rules and spells that made it difficult for anyone to be killed, such as the third level cleric spell Revivify. It’s “a far piece” from how it was with original D&D where you had to husband every hit point and often had to decide to run away or even leave the adventure for lack of hit points.

How does it work in your campaign? Let me know in the poll and in the comments.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted "26-40%" but that's for combat overall; while any combat in theory can be lethal - dice will be dice, after all - in practice there's quite a few where the odds of a PC dying are low enough as to be irrelevant, which would shade the % down a bit if I only looked at those with real potential of killing one or more PCs.

We spend a lot of time on exploration and mapping, and on inter-character RP (including post-adventure treasury division; dividing a big treasury can eat up a few sessions); with less-but-not-zero time spent on planning, and on social interaction with NPCs. My guess would be that overall combat takes up maybe 25% of the time, with maybe 1/3 of that being combats that are on paper extremely unlikely to kill any PCs (e.g. typical wandering monsters, 'nuisance' encounters, etc.).

Retreater

Legend
I voted 41-60% because most of the other time is spent preparing, discussing, telling jokes, etc. But I would say that a higher percentage of "actually playing the game" revolves around combat - if we're talking about D&D. Other systems (for instance, Call of Cthulhu) might have an even lower percentage.
But combat is probably my most consistently favorite part of the game to DM. Exploration is probably the worst, as it's trite and insignificant. [Though that's a topic for another thread, I think.] Role-playing/social interaction can be awesome, showing more higher highs (but also lower lows) than combat.

I don't think everyone is interpreting the word "lethal" in the question the same way.

To me a "lethal" combat, is one in which somebody dies. Doesn't have to be a PC.

So if your group is one taking prisoners, always using the "reduced to 0 HP can mean dead or unconscious, PC choice", one using non-damaging spells or exceptional skill checks to end encounters, etc, then your % of lethal combat may be just a fraction of your % of combat (period).

Psikerlord#

Explorer
For me, fun combat, ie good gamplay, is the primary reason I play trpgs. It's the best part. Any story or RP is a bonus. Yeah, there can be cool RP moments, but if there was no combat I'd find other things to do with my time. This is probably also why I dont enjoy 5e very much (too easymode) or Critical Role, which is more show than game (the show must go on, so the PCs are never really in danger).

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Combat has been just about the least interesting part of D&D to me for going on 30 years now. Rolling dice is exciting, but long drawn out battles are not. And the ejection of morale rules from the main rules set makes combat more likely to be lethal in nature, which I find ridiculous.

Most creatures aren't going to fight to the death, especially against an obviously superior foe/force.

So the short form is: I voted 11-25%, but odds are the numbers are even lower than that in my campaigns.

Hussar

Legend
I enjoy the hack. I do. I make no apologies for that. So, my games probably fall in the 40-60% combat range.

One thing I think has really changed though from the old days is that combat is often now contextualized within the game world rather than a goal in and of itself. Back in the day, you went in the dungeon (whatever that dungeon was - be it above ground or below) and killed everything you met because, well, it's there for killin'. You didn't need a reason to slaughter those orcs in the Caves of Chaos - that's what they were for.

These days, I find that sort of play mind numbingly boring. I recently bowed out of a group that was going through the Undermountain campaign for 5e. Session after session of killing stuff for no particular reason other than "it was there to be killed" meant that the whole game soured on me and I was no longer enjoying it. Attempts to bypass combat were pretty much instant failures and there was no other way forward.

I no longer enjoy that kind of game.

SavageCole

Punk Rock Warlord
Combat is easily accessible drama for people. Clear stakes, clear actions taken, and there’s a reason why it still features heavily in popular culture/entertainment. Video games, action movies, etc. A lot of my home group are friends through an old acting troupe, but they still relish combat.

As a GM, I tend to get tired of the slog long before my players. In a group of players ranging in age from 20s - 50s, we have a mix of players who relish story and character, but they all perk up during a skirmish. I need those fights to have meaning to keep from going out of my mind. As for lethality, in my Call of Cthulhu and Warhammer games combat is risky and any scrap could mean death or disfigurement. In 5e, after the first level or so, the edge softens.

Saving players from dying unless they do something really stupid is pretty popular these days, and I’ve read a lot of good reasons for people taking that perspective. Again, probably the influence of other games I played, but I prefer to be a cold, neutral force when it comes to combat and death. If the fates/dice are unkind, I don’t like to cheat for or against the player.

My players rarely feel safe in a fight, and when they do that makes them really nervous.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Our OSR games tend to be fairly exploration focused and we avoid combat when possible unless we have an overwhelming advantage. I would say about 2 fairly short combat in a 3-4 hour session are pretty normal. About 20%.

Our more character focused games tend to be heavily focused on social interactions. It is not unusual for us to get into a fight like once every 2 or 3 sessions. We have runs where there has not been a fight for 5 sessions. Fights do tend to be longer because there is still a lot of dialogue and they are knockout drag-down affairs. (15% maybe)

Shiroiken

Legend
The poll question is misleading. The amount of IRL time of combat is about half for the average session/campaign (our Avernus campaign is much more combat, while our Saltmarsh campaign is much more exploration). Even campaigns that are combat light are still going to have a lot of IRL time spent on combat solely because it takes much more time to resolve. The author's premise is flawed however, because IME combat is almost always the most interesting part of the game for new players.

Also IME, combat is NOT the focus in most campaign, merely the movement of the plot (which requires conflict). If you wanted to assume the players would always succeed without tracking resources, the story of most campaigns would stay about the same, changing only details (usually the memorable ones, such as when someone sacrifices themselves, another dies tragically, or the party fails miserably and has to try again). For a group that is only focused on story, this could easily be a tactic used, but my guess is that it would feel rather dry to most.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The poll question is misleading. The amount of IRL time of combat is about half for the average session/campaign (our Avernus campaign is much more combat, while our Saltmarsh campaign is much more exploration). Even campaigns that are combat light are still going to have a lot of IRL time spent on combat solely because it takes much more time to resolve. The author's premise is flawed however, because IME combat is almost always the most interesting part of the game for new players.
Interesting.

IME the most interesting part of the game for many new players is exploration*. For some it's RPing and social interaction, and for a few it's combat.

As time goes on and those players gain more experience (and, perhaps, side-along with their characters gaining levels and powers) combat tends to push to the fore, often taking the place of exploration. Those who start out interested in RPing, though, tend to stay that way throughout.

* - maybe this is because we usually map the dungeon or adventure and take our time over exploring and info-gathering rather than jumping from one encounter to the next, hard to say.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads