WoT Book 11: Knife of Dreams

Particle_Man

Explorer
Could I skip some of the books in the middle? What if I read 1-6 and then 11? Then I could avoid the sucky parts, and since nothing happens in the later books, I shouldn't be too far behind on the plot, right?

Particle_Man said:
Could I skip some of the books in the middle? What if I read 1-6 and then 11? Then I could avoid the sucky parts, and since nothing happens in the later books, I shouldn't be too far behind on the plot, right?

No, you would miss quite much. I really like all books besides 10.

Mystery Man

First Post
I'm one of those people that complained by the end of book five that he was dragging the series on and actually stopped reading them. If he ever does finish the series I'll never know. ;)

I was getting the books on Audiobook from my public library and "rereading" them as I commuted this summer. I gave up halfway through Crown of Swords in disgust. I've never read Winter's Heart or Crossroads of Twilight.

I will probably attempt again in a few months, to read the last four books that I haven't read or reread recently so I can read Knife of Dreams, though. Like Xath, I've invested too much into this series to completely abandon it. And every so often Jordan does remind me of why I used to enjoy his writing when the series was still young.

Ratenef

Explorer
I have enjoyed the series as a whole so far.

With the new book coming out (in hardcover) I'll be waiting about a year until I can read it (paperback).

With a series this large, you can't complain that one or two of the books were a little dry.

I have to admit that book 5 or 6 was a bloody pain to get through, but I'll reiterate that the series as a whole is quite good.

I am just worried that Mr. Jordan will die before he finishes the series and the publisher will let some unknown hack 'finish' it........

Winter's Heart was what I would consider a filler book, in that Mr. Jordan needed a bunch of things to happen to get where he intends to go and that this book was just the 'boring' bits of getting the people where he wanted them.

The two big events at the very end of Winter's Heart are what are making me really want to read book 11. I won't go into details, but when I read that last chapter or two, it made the whole book worthwhile.

Oh well, I just have to wait until I can get the newest paperback, and avoid all the spoiler threads, to see how it pans out.

I'm in the same boat as Xath, I've invested too much time to not read this series to completion. Having said that, Rand may very well lose his hand in the next book. If i had three wives, i'd no longer need my hand either. If Rand dies, however, it may be from boredom if book 10 was any indication.

On a more serious note, I sincerely hope that Jordan devotes an entire book to the Last Battle and it's aftermath.

ssampier

First Post
Starman said:
I'm away from my books at the moment, so I can't give any exact pages or anything, however...

Rand is definitely a messianic figure. There have been many hints that his fate is to die, but there has also been clues that he will live after the last battle. Jordan is good at "ironic statements," one being that Nynaeve wouldn't be happy until she "healed someone three days dead." Hence, I think Rand will die and Nynaeve will bring him back three days later.

Excuse me if I'm being too literal, but doesn't match the Dragon Prophecies does it? I mean, he is the Dragon Reborn, Lews Therin, reborn. If he can resurrected, why couldn't Lews Therin be resurrected as well? :\

My prediction:

It was all a dream. Rand actually was knocked unconscious by the Trolloc in book 1 and just dreamed he was the Dragon Reborn. In reality the Dragon Reborn is a composite character of various heroes. The Aes Sedai are just a set of pushy women selling a Medieval esque perfume.

Now begins the real story.... cue the next set of 12 to 15 books.

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
ssampier said:
Excuse me if I'm being too literal, but doesn't match the Dragon Prophecies does it? I mean, he is the Dragon Reborn, Lews Therin, reborn. If he can resurrected, why couldn't Lews Therin be resurrected as well? :\

Where exactly in the Prophecies does it say that Rand and LTT are the same person? Rand may hear LTT in his head, but he is not LTT. This is a new Age with a new Age Lace. Even when the same Age rolls around again, things don't happen exactly as they did before.

Note also that Rand was told when he went through the twisted doorway ter'angreal that "To live he must die." Clearly he asked some variation of "How can I survive the Last Battle?" Dying and being resurrected fits the answer perfectly.

aanJake

First Post
*waves*
WoT addict here :D I too think that book 10 was disappointing, doing nothing to really further the storylie. But I think in general the books are amazing and I can't wait for Knife of Dreams to come out on Tuesday (counting down lol). A bit OT but if you like the Wheel of Time you should check out the link in my signature. It's a WoT roleplaying site; really cool.

Anyway... any thoughts on who killed Asmodean? Or those millions of weird Min viewings that are yet to be answered? The one about Alivia helping to kill Rand really irks me.

Remove ads