• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
To be fair, money is almost certainly a major motivating factor. But a right decision made for the wrong reasons is still a right decision. I care about the outcomes of actions, not the motivations.
Sure, but plenty of companies make the immoral choice at times like these. To think that wotc is doing this purely “because money” is ridiculous.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You are taking it to an extreme that I find very problematic: that a person can't even suggest a hypothetical abstract people--with no defining characteristics other than psychopathy--without "regurgitating colonialist rhetoric."
I was assuming, since we had been discussing orcs and you had not specified otherwise in your example, that you were talking about orcs. If you wish to analyze a more specific hypothetical setting, please provide the specifics you would like to analyze.
Doing so critically (or consciously)
Conscious and critical are different things.

doesn't always lead to the same conclusions. If you re-read my hypothetical campaign idea, it doesn't in any way "justify oppression and murder."
Your hypothetical campaign idea is too vague to meaningfully critically analyze.

It is suggesting a scenario in which those are the norm, and the heroes are trying to change the norm. If anything, the scenario is anti-colonialist.
In which what are the norm?

Anyhow, a question for you: do you include combat in your games? If so, why and how?
Yes, I do, because it is a major part of D&D. I’m not sure what you mean by “how (do I include combat in my games)... the same way as anyone else? As the rules describe? This is a non-sequitur.

Psychopaths are dangerous. That is not a misconception. I am not talking about the mentally ill as a group, but psychopathy in particular. Psychopaths lack empathy. That is dangerous. One could argue that acts of real evil generally involve lack of empathy, if only in the act of doing so.
It is absolutely a misconception. “Psychopathy” is an outdated term for antisocial personality disorder, and people with antisocial personality disorder are not any more dangerous than neurotypical people. It is actually a very common mental illness, and as with most forms of mental illness, people who suffer from it are more likely to be victims of violence than to perpetrate it. The idea that “psychopaths” are dangerous and violent is a widespread misconception, perpetuated by media, especially horror media.

A question for you: how would you define evil? What causes it? How can a person enact evil?
This is another non-sequitur, but I’ll humor you. I don’t believe in evil.

Charlaquin

Sure, but plenty of companies make the immoral choice at times like these. To think that wotc is doing this purely “because money” is ridiculous.
Oh, yeah. It certainly isn’t purely because of money. That said, I don’t think they would be doing it if they didn’t think it was a financially sound decision.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t think I disagree with what you’re saying here. Orcs can (and in my opinion should) be complex in different ways than humans are. But if they’re universally evil, they aren’t. There’s no complexity to be found there.
All evil is not the same. There are a 1001(more really) different ways to run evil. Orcs can have complexity while being unable to be good or neutral.

No, WotC itself is not, and probably Hasbro is not forcing them to either. But companies are neither moral nor immoral. Capitalism is neither. It is the people in charge, but people can have both and not lose their moral compass, unless they become greedy or power-hungry, or both. Outside of the ignorance and fear that causes people to hate what they do not understand, greed and the desire for power are the roots of evil and most of what is wrong in this world.

Charlaquin

No, WotC itself is not, and probably Hasbro is not forcing them to either. But companies are neither moral nor immoral. Capitalism is neither. It is the people in charge, but people can have both and not lose their moral compass, unless they become greedy or power-hungry, or both. Outside of the ignorance and fear that causes people to hate what they do not understand, greed and the desire for power are the roots of evil and most of what is wrong in this world.
We’re getting dangerously close to explicitly discussing politics here, which is against the forum rules. I’ll just say, the statement that capitalism is neither moral nor immoral is far from an uncontroversial statement. A lot of people from across the political spectrum would disagree strongly with this.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I don't see the racism in the hypothetical campaign idea, because it is not based in any way on a real world race or group.
okay, for reals, I really want to understand why people are okay with racism when it doesn't involve a real group of people. why does fantasy racism get a free pass from so many of you people just because it's a fantasy?

I'm gonna take a low hanging fruit. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that everyone in this thread believes slavery is bad. the Atlantic slave trade is one of the worst institutions in recorded history. it was incredibly racist, I won't tolerate anyone saying otherwise.

I doubt very few people would enjoy a roleplaying scenario where you play people actively involved in slave trading (and I mean roleplaying like you're the individual people, not like playing a strategy game where you control a nation involved in slavery).

now I'm gonna make a really bad proposition (and I apologize in advance to the moderators): what if there was a D&D setting where there was an elvish slave trade by humans? like almost part for part the same as real world slavery? would you not consider that racist? remember, elves aren't "a real world race or group", so is it still racist? if there was an adventure written where the players had to help the slavers out, would you not find it racist? is it not problematic if the adventure rewarded the players for helping them out, but didn't really expect them to fight against this system? also the NPCs in this hypothetical adventure will give you reasons for why doing this to elves is actually a good thing in case your character is having second thoughts, but is that not bad?

like please, the idea that racism isn't "actually" racism if the group isn't real is mind boggling to me, I really want to know where the line is here.

P.S. I know slavery has already been explored in similar ways in different fantasy stories and games, you don't need to tell me about them, I'm just trying to come up with a very objectionable scenario that's incredibly hard to justify as not racist.
Well, I'd state the obvious that not all races are like that. And the side bar here is the PHB only has so much room and so many pages: they can't do 100 pages per race. So the PHB gives one example of a race. And then open just about any other book and look: lots of other diffrent examples of that race. And that is on top of each published campgain setting having different race types too.
uh, the 5e PHB manages to present humans as a vastly diverse people in 3 pages. elves have more pages than humans. let's not get carried away here.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ll politely note that I disagree about capitalism, and the nature of corporations, and leave it at that, other than to say; systems can absolutely be moral or immoral, by incentivizing or disincentivizing certain actions, prioritizing groups of people unfairly, creating false/anti-social metrics of success and failure, etc.

But when a corporation “acts”, we must remember that actual humans made that decision, because a corporation is just an idea with legal cohesion. If wotc does doesn’t that we see as morally wrong, we should look to the people who run, andthe people who own it, and indicate to them, clearly and powerfully, that we will not put up with it.

I think they should also have more diverse cultures, if that’s what you mean. Eberron is a good example of a setting where races aren’t mono-cultural.

To me the biggest question isn't whether they should have a diversity of cultures but whether those cultures should be clustered around the same average. It's quite possible for their values and customs to vary the same total amount as humans' do and yet appear samey because their baseline that all the variation is centered around is on what we would consider the fringe. (and conversely, humans would appear samey to them)

That said, there are setting-related reasons why it would make sense for them to be monocultures in the standard settings. The orcs, elves, and dwarves in most settings were created by immortal and generally rather meddlesome creator deities. It's perfectly reasonable that one might find a group of elves in living on an island in the middle of nowhere completely out of contact with any other elvish civilization and who are descended from castaways who got stranded on the island as children but who nevertheless speak elvish, use standard elvish technologies, and worship Corellon Larethian for the simple reason that Corellon taught them to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads