• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Var

Explorer
Well, maybe, but I was just answering to the idea that a plate clad pink haired gnome girls slugging it out with a Dragon is jarring and doesn't make sense in universe. In an universe were dragons roam the land, were archimages cast spells, where fighters can survive to tens of sword cuts, where minotaurs and werevolves are as real as bulls and wolves.

So I tried to find the problem of the plate clad pink haired gnome girls slugging it out with a Dragon.

Maybe it was the pink hair? No, it couldn't be that, because in a world where a simple cantrip could change hair color, many people would wear their hair in exotic color.

Maybe the girl part? No, that one is mostly sorted in D&D, even if for some computer gamers is still a problem...

Maybe the plate clad gnome?

OK, I stop here, but I think you get the point...

Anyways, at least it inspired me to draw a plate clad pink haired gnome girls slugging it out with a Dragon

View attachment 122975

There is a difference between making bigoted societies or evil species in your game world or doing it as default in the official setting. Hey, it's your game, you're DMing it, and if you want your peasants xenophobic, and your Orcs biologically evil, more power to you, and if it doesn't fit my mindset, I'm free to not play with you. But it the official version of the game states that peasants are xenophobic and Orcs biologically evil, they are pushing that into every player throat. I vastly prefer if the official version is sensitive, inclusive and non discriminative.

Well, a simple Prestidigitation cantrip, some magic potion, a magic dye... In a game with magic, the elusive pink dye should not be a problem.
BTW, WoW made me love weird colored characters clad in improbable armor. And also that species are mostly cosmetical in game terms, so I could choose the specie I wanted without any meta gaming thought...

This is about as far as you can overanalyze things to make it look like they suit your point.

Pink haired female gnome main tanks are a WoW meme. No downsides on that there, half duration on certain CCs actually make gnome warriors pretty much optimal.
And your main tank is porbably not going to be someone who plays that Gnome to promote inklusiveness. Chances are that character is an accumulation of maximum effectiveness and going for the edgy option on top because why not, it's edgy therefore cool.

Bringing WoW meme character choicers into a DnD game someone might be trying hard to RP in, isn't going to promote inclusiveness, it's memeing in a game.
Now in the context of this thread you'd get backlash like yours for saying "I'm not going to allow pink haired gnome girl warriors in my game". Since somone, in this example you, will decide he absolutely guessed the context correctly, knows how you meant that and will take his new established moral high ground to tell you why you're wrong.

You could have taken another turn of actions, like inquire details, go with "but gnome girls are so cute" or whatever.
But you didn't and chose to do what you did instead.
And that was a fairly harmless example where no one got hurt. These things tend to escalate way beyond that if we're not talking to each other.

What usually happens is each side slings their argument, goes back in their corner to get celebrated for it and refuses to do more than rinse and repeat in the next round until both sides are pissed off at each other and a dialogue is pretty much not an option anymore.
But both sides will think they've won and the other guys are baddies for disagreeing. Everyone wins, yay!

Last edited:

Paul3

Explorer
Folks at WotC don't have much power to change laws or legal precedents. They do have the power to change what's in their D&D books and Magic cards.

If they want to help move the world in a less-racist direction, doing what they can, where they can, seems like the most logical approach.

Obviously, not everyone thinks this is their job, but they clearly do, so here we are.

As I said, I agree with many of their points and all are worthy of discussion/inspection. Looking at your hiring practices or cultural representations in your content are the big rocks (IMO). Making an issue about giving a very slight bonuses to different species of creatures (while not limiting their ability to create whatever you want) seems insignificant. It doesn't matter to me either way, but as you peruse this thread, how much is based on my perceived big rocks and how much is based on the small rocks?

FWIW, I run a group for 12 year old kids and their first two characters created were a dwarf warlock and a halfling fighter. I just think there are bigger issues and think this one is a reach.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We are assuming that people aren't bright enough to understand that "race" in D&D and "race" in real life are very different things.

No, we are not. We are taking it to be true that people are bright enough that they see and understand analogies and symbolism.

We are hoping that people are empathic enough to realize that repeatedly smacking marginalized folks in the face with negative symbolism is a thing a company shouldn't do...

I think the thing about ability scores might be something like you get a "+1 to Dex or Int" instead of a strict just +1 Dex for being an Elf or whatever, or a floating +1 for other options where deemed appropriate.

As for representation of my background as a Chinese Canadian (even though I label myself as a "Banana"), the downplaying the exoticism of Asian inspired material is the way to go. They have improved on such things as editions have gone on.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You are already stereotyping anyone who doesn't see the GAME as you do. So, in effect, YOU are GATEKEEPING. We do need less negativity and hate and that includes you.
So, let's be clear. Popper's theorem holds; we do not subscribe to the belief that tolerance requires us to tolerate intolerance, or that rejection of hate constitutes hate. Additionally, so we're very clear, we won't tolerate people trying that twisted, absurd line of alt-right rhetoric here.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
It's not like any other fantasy franchises, like say World of Warcraft or Dragon Age rely on cultural tropes...oh, wait.

I'm glad you pointed that out!

It's a mistake to think this kind of revision is a brand new process. Both the harmful stereotypes and attempts to overcome them are old.

As has been pointed out a lot, modern depictions of orcs can be reached back to Tolkien, who borrowed a lot of his imagery for orcs from the fears that Anglo Saxons had of Mongols. So they are, in fact, based on fear-driven stereotypes.

When orcs, or orc-like people, are then used in other fantasy settings, the authors and creators of those settings have the opportunity to either continue using the harmful stereotypes associated with orcs, or to try and fight against the perpetuation of race-based tropes.

WotC has been doing that for a long time, though not perfectly. In 3rd Edition, they removed class restrictions based on race. In 5e, they removed ability penalties bases on race (except for orc and a few others).

This is an ongoing process, not a switch that will be flipped.

When you look at your own thoughts and opinions on this topic, try not to see it as "for" or "against." If the topic makes you feel uncomfortable, that's okay! But try to ask yourself why you are reacting like this.

I would hope that you would want to be part of this process of creating fantasy that is open to all actual people!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
In the fantasy novel I wrote when I got laid off (and hope to re-write an publish someday), I refer to all the species of humanoids as The People. That doesn't stop some of them from feeling superior to others, nor does it stop some from pointing out how stupid that is. There are also species that walk on two legs and that some RPGs would call humanoids, but they are not part of The People. How much I want politics to come into that book is part of why it isn't re-written yet.....

I like that they are removing racist tropes from the game. They aren't trying to fix real world racism, they are trying to make their games less racist.....

The only thing I don't get, and maybe it will be clear as time goes on......if there are no mechanical differences between the people (humans and halflings, for example), aren't they just humans that look different?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I guess all of the "Activists" online can pat themselves on the back as they "won a blow for civil rights". I continue to believe that People of Color have more pressing needs to fix
No one at WotC is taking a break from crafting legislation or changing policing policies in Seattle to do any of this. They're doing the work they can, where they can.

Weiley31

Legend
I mean I never saw anything wrong with each race having their own racial ability score modifiers. In all honesty, I always disliked the -ability scores that races had in 3.0/3.5. So I had no probs with 5E doing away with that and pretty much being positive ability racial scores and was glad that Eberron/Wildemount updated the Orcs to nix the negative racial score.

On that regard though, I have no probs at all if WoTC allows a variant rule for racial/people/folk scores being modular/adaptable/changeable. 5E is big on reskinning anyway so reskinning/modular ability scores seems like it fits in that same ball park. Plus it allows players who want to stick to the racial ability scores, they can and those who want to use the variant rule can use that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I continue to believe that People of Color have more pressing needs to fix...

They do. But action on large issues is not mutually exclusive with action on small things. We have a moral responsibility to fix things that are well within our reach. People should act within their purview to make the world a better place. WotC is doing that.

In addition, the small action at least signals recognition of the problems, which is supportive. It isn't sufficient, but it is necessary that we publicly talk about where we stand, and take actions bsed on our stated principles.

So, really, do you want to continue to complain about people making things better when they clearly have the power to do so?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads