D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If that's where we're headed, even multiple sensitivity readers for every project won't save us. I was waiting for someone to bring it up, because the YA community is the kind of scenario I'm a little worried about.

"Toxic drama"
"Twitter"

Yeaaahhh, I'm not sure if the real issue is a little more simple than pinning blame on sensitivity readers

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think it's the same thing. People in the 80's were also hurt by the fact, that d&d had demons and the game's focus on the occult in general. However, only a few of these actually played the game. I honestly don't think that many d&d players are truly hurt by the fact, that orcs and drow are evil in d&d.
Yeah, this really isn't the same thing. The difference here is that people irrationally thought that D&D caused devil worship and suicide, when that never really happened. Here, this is just making the game more sensitive and versatile for player options. This is a positive change to the people who want it, and in no way negative to those who don't care about it.

Staffan

Legend
A lot of activity on this thread, which I admit to not having time to read all of. These articles feels germain to the topics being discussed and is well reasoned and argued. While I don't agree fully with everything in them, they did make me think a good deal and question some of my personal assumptions when it comes to fantasy races like Orcs.

Part of the issue is that for many evil fantasy races, the cultural signifiers and shorthand that is used to get across that they are evil have their origins in racist depictions of real world cultures. There are no easy answers, and I can get how people can be defensive and feel attacked. Just remember, not everything is about you.
The articles in question are great, but for those who think reading through two quite long blog posts is too much work, Mendez explains the central point in this video:

[Edit: apparently the Spanish style of names works differently than what I am used to. The man's surname is Mendez Hodes, and if you're going to shorten it you drop the second part, not the first. So Mendez, not Hodes]

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
As to your second example, your error was similar to the first. Americans, not possibly aggrieved Japanese people, were the ones protesting. Were they in error? I feel they were in this case.

You might want to Google some photos of the event. There were many Asian American protestors. Who was right in that example? Was it the museum and the patrons who liked the exhibit, the Asian Americans who protested, or the confused Japanese people who didn't quite understand what the problem was? Again, not everything is a bright easy line that obvious to all.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
...WOTC survives on Magic the Gathering. D&D is inconsequential compared to it.

I'm not sure how we got the thread off topic here and maybe this is simply inflammatory, but had to respond.

Misleading. While MTG is a big revenue maker, D&D is on it's 6th straight year of growth and a vital cog.

Since WOTC is using their games to promote their politics, they're alienating customers. As we approach November, WOTC is going to get a lot worse....They'll alienate conservatives in droves, and depending on how tired of it moderates are, they'll alienate them too.

Based off absolutely nothing. If you've played MTG, the addiction and thrill and challenge outweigh pretty much anything any stupid politician could say. I used to game with these guys and gals, and not once ever did politics affect the combos we came up with. You think once I got my Altar of Dementia lockdown going, resulting in opponents simply giving up, that I thought "oh golly gee, I wonder what my opponent watches for their political news?"

With that out of the way, I had an earlier post where I ranted about designers trying to make their change in-game rather than out-of-game. You can find thousands of discussions online where gamers ask: "I have this problem, should I address it in game or do something real, out of game, like talk to the person." 100% of the time, I say out-of-game is where you get results. So while we can pontificate that orcs need a g-damn hug and the only reason half-orcs exist is because some orc and some human fell in love because that totally makes sense and not because of extreme violence because in a fantasy world, that type of violence never happens...if you're going to make a difference in D&D, do it in the real world. Hire writers and designers of diverse backgrounds with different perspectives. Don't try to solve it with in-game remedies. Otherwise, deep down, it's all pretend.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It won't. WOTC, at least as it is today, is on its way out rather rapidly.
Two things:

1) I would have thought the "get woke, go broke" meme would have been discredited after Black Panther absolutely crushed it at the box office and continues to be a cultural touchstone today.

2) We're dangerously close to the "no politics" rule here at ENWorld, but you should check the polls -- more than one, distributed by more than just one news outlet -- about Americans' attitudes on racism, Black Lives Matter, police violence, etc. WotC is not staking out a fringe position here. They came out the way they did after NASCAR.

Sacrosanct

Legend
For those of you who think "Go woke go broke," I've got a little secret for you. Diversity is good for business. Embracing diversity means having a wider pool of available talent to drawn from and it means more customers. This is not going to hurt WotC or Hasbro in the slightest.

There have been several studies over the years that reaffirm that the more diverse your workforce, team, customer base, etc, the better. From an overall more accepting attitude, to greater efficiency, to additional profits. Really at this point, it's a no brainer.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
This is the most ridiculous slippery slope argument I think I've -ever- read, and that's saying something.

Let's do a more realistic approach: They're going to release Xanthar 2, Electric Boogaloo, its gonna have some non-stereotypical orcs in it, something about the Visanti, and its gonna sell like hotcakes
Obviously a terrible post on Rygar's part.

That is more likely. Xanathar's 2.0 is definitely going to sell well, as XGtE sold very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads