D&D 5E WotC Apologises For Missing Cultural Consultant Credit in Strixhaven

In the initial printing of Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos, the credit for Tanya DePass’ (who recently ran the hugely successful Kickstarter for the Afrofuturist RPG Into the Mother Lands, and founded the organisation I Need Diverse Games) role as cultural consultant was omitted. WotC has apologised and promises that the credit will be included in future printings. The first print run of...

In the initial printing of Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos, the credit for Tanya DePass’ (who recently ran the hugely successful Kickstarter for the Afrofuturist RPG Into the Mother Lands, and founded the organisation I Need Diverse Games) role as cultural consultant was omitted. WotC has apologised and promises that the credit will be included in future printings.

The first print run of #Strixhaven missed a crucial credit - the consulting work by @cypheroftyr. We publicly apologize to Tanya for the omission, as we have privately. Future printings will include her credit. See the attached page w/ updated credits already available digitally.

We also failed at communicating this update appropriately. We apologize for both our communication failure and for making the initial credit mistake in the first place.

Thank you to all of our fans for pointing out our mistakes so that we can correct them. We hope our error doesn’t diminish any enjoyment of the work all our teams have put into making #Strixhaven the best it could be.

A40E507A-E1EC-4DD9-9585-718FDD3D6F73.jpeg

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The most important thing about credits here is that (1) WotC has publicly acknowledged this and published the apology, so she can save that apology as errata; and (2) that errata will be incorporated into future publications.

Jobs are made and lost based on whether someone's credits on a particular project check out or not.

This is entirely different from say, MercurySteam refusing to give credit to designers who worked months if not years on Metroid Dread and designed key elements that made it into the final game, just because their work was less than an arbitrary % of time on the project. Those developers who were not credited will suffer the consequences of their CVs constantly being questioned because MercurySteam didn't deign to give them credit. And in the game development world, credits are EVERYTHING. They're the proof that you know what you're doing.

Bolares

Hero
The most important thing about credits here is that (1) WotC has publicly acknowledged this and published the apology, so she can save that apology as errata; and (2) that errata will be incorporated into future publications.
I think the most important thing is that Tanya feels like the matter is resolved, and asked people to consider it as such. But otherwise you are correct

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I think the most important thing is that Tanya feels like the matter is resolved, and asked people to consider it as such. But otherwise you are correct
Yes, you're right! I read her chain of tweets after posting.

That's more important than what I was saying. But I was speaking to the fact that in this case, it was resolved. This is a problem in recent news, and we've heard about it elsewhere where people don't feel like their issue is resolved - like the case with MercurySteam and those developers on Metroid Dread.

Bolares

Hero
But I was speaking to the fact that in this case, it was resolved. This is a problem in recent news, and we've heard about it elsewhere where people don't feel like their issue is resolved - like the case with MercurySteam and those developers on Metroid Dread.
Sure sure, not trying to call you or anyone discussing it here out. Just said it to expose her request to consider the matter resolved to the thread, as I assume not everyone will read all her tweets.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
And in the game development world, credits are EVERYTHING. They're the proof that you know what you're doing.
In any creative field credits are hugely important. This is why every Hollywood union/guild includes demands for credit acknowledgement on a film/tv show - credit acknowledgement (or lack of it) can make or break a career.

Remove ads

Remove ads