WotC Backs Down: Original OGL To Be Left Untouched; Whole 5E Rules Released as Creative Commons

Hundreds of game publishers sigh in relief as, after extensive pressure exerted by the entire open gaming community, WotC has agreed to leave the original Open Gaming License untouched and put the whole of the 5E rules into Creative Commons.

So, what's happened?
  • The Open Gaming Licence v1.0a which most of the D&D third party industry relies on, will be left untouched for now.
  • The whole of the D&D 5E SRD (ie the rules of the game less the fluff text) has been released under a Creative Commons license.

WotC has a history of 'disappearing' inconvenient FAQs and stuff, such as those where they themselves state that the OGL is irrevocable, so I'll copy this here for posterity.

When you give us playtest feedback, we take it seriously.

Already more than 15,000 of you have filled out the survey. Here's what you said:
  • 88% do not want to publish TTRPG content under OGL 1.2.
  • 90% would have to change some aspect of their business to accommodate OGL 1.2.
  • 89% are dissatisfied with deauthorizing OGL 1.0a.
  • 86% are dissatisfied with the draft VTT policy.
  • 62% are satisfied with including Systems Reference Document (SRD) content in Creative Commons, and the majority of those who were dissatisfied asked for more SRD content in Creative Commons.
These live survey results are clear. You want OGL 1.0a. You want irrevocability. You like Creative Commons.
The feedback is in such high volume and its direction is so plain that we're acting now.
  1. We are leaving OGL 1.0a in place, as is. Untouched.
  2. We are also making the entire SRD 5.1 available under a Creative Commons license.
  3. You choose which you prefer to use.
This Creative Commons license makes the content freely available for any use. We don't control that license and cannot alter or revoke it. It's open and irrevocable in a way that doesn't require you to take our word for it. And its openness means there's no need for a VTT policy. Placing the SRD under a Creative Commons license is a one-way door. There's no going back.

Our goal here is to deliver on what you wanted.

So, what about the goals that drove us when we started this process?

We wanted to protect the D&D play experience into the future. We still want to do that with your help. We're grateful that this community is passionate and active because we'll need your help protecting the game's inclusive and welcoming nature.

We wanted to limit the OGL to TTRPGs. With this new approach, we are setting that aside and counting on your choices to define the future of play.
Here's a PDF of SRD 5.1 with the Creative Commons license. By simply publishing it, we place it under an irrevocable Creative Commons license. We'll get it hosted in a more convenient place next week. It was important that we take this step now, so there's no question.
We'll be closing the OGL 1.2 survey now.

We'll keep talking with you about how we can better support our players and creators. Thanks as always for continuing to share your thoughts.

Kyle Brink
Executive Producer, Dungeons & Dragons

What does this mean?

The original OGL sounds safe for now, but WotC has not admitted that they cannot revoke it. That's less of an issue now the 5E System Reference Document is now released to Creative Commons (although those using the 3E SRD or any third party SRDs still have issues as WotC still hasn't revoked the incorrect claim that they can revoke access to those at-will).

At this point, if WotC wants anybody to use whatever their new OGL v1.x turns out to be, there needs to be one heck of a carrot. What that might be remains to be seen.

Pathfinder publlsher Paizo has also commented on the latest developments.

We welcome today’s news from Wizards of the Coast regarding their intention not to de-authorize OGL 1.0a. We still believe there is a powerful need for an irrevocable, perpetual independent system-neutral open license that will serve the tabletop community via nonprofit stewardship. Work on the ORC license will continue, with an expected first draft to release for comment to participating publishers in February.

Ondath

Hero
I feel like the conversation just went back in time a month!
Smash Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
They can amend it; they already did once. It's perpetual, but not irrevocable or unchangeable.
The lack of the word irrevocable never implied it was necessarily revocable. It's just good practice to make such explicit.
If I'm reading the particular CC licence correctly, it also makes content released under it use the same licence. So you'd get to use Mind Flayers and Beholders if you wanted to; but then your own IP would also become available for anyone else to use in the future. So, ah, when people talk about just wanting to make content for D&D - go ahead, but you're not making content and stopping others from using it afterwards.
I don't think you are reading the CC license correctly. What makes you think your IP must also be released under CC-BY-4.0?

dave2008

Legend
That maybe true if all you care about is the 5e SRD. For anyone who cares about the vast library of non-5e OGC accumulated over the last 23 years, CC does literally nothing (or at least, pretty damn close to it).
I am not sure what you are getting at, but they could release more edition SRDs under CC, as the discussed in the OGL 1.2 FAQ.

If you are talking specifically about OGL1.0(a), then there is really nothing they can do about that. The can make a new version of the license with irrevocable or whatever, but that doesn't change the existing license. All they can do is promise to not try to deauthorize - which they did. Of course they have lost the communities trust about that. But, if I understand things correctly, and I may not, there is nothing more they can do.
It has fallen well short of mine (while still being better than I really expected).
My goodness, what do you need? As I said in another thread - I still want more, as in different things, but this exceeded my expectations.
Even before this, there were plenty of signs that it was not going to be as compatible as they were billing it.
And a lot of signs it will be very compatible. So much so, a new SRD isn't needed to write 3PP content for it. That beings said I will be mildly surprised if the don't release an update SRD for 1D&D to CC.
We obviously do not know for sure, but most people seem to be assuming that ORC will be specifically designed for RPGs and will have features similar to the OGL that CC lacks.
Yes, my understanding is that it doesn't have a feature to protect your work like "Product Identity" (except trademarks) in the OGL. I find it a little funny that some people clamoring for D&D to be freely available to everyone are really trying to hold on to their own creations whike using someone else's whole-hog!
Nothing except memories of the bloody nose they just got...which will inevitably fade.
And that there is not a lot of point with the 5.1 SRD (and possibly more) already available as CC. You can pretty much create an 3e game from the 5e SRD. The 5e SRD they released to the CC is more inclusive than the 3e/3.5e version in some ways, though missing some 3e-isms too.
I will be very surprised. People in this thread (at least some of whom really should not bettter) are declaring this a complete victory already, so why should they offer any more concessions?
I expect them to release the 3e/3.5e SRD to CC too. We will see, but I think we will hear more next week. As to why they would do it: there is little value in holding back at this point and it will foster more good will, and they still need as much of that as they can get.
"Need" in the sense that it is the only way to be sure that WotC will not try to pull this again five, ten, or twenty years down the road.
Just to be clear, an updated OGL will not do anything about everything already published under the OGL 1.0(a). It would provide a new path forward (like ORC), but it can't go back in time. So even with a new OGL, they could try to deauthorize the 1.0(a) again. There is nothing that can stop those shenanigans' except WotC themselves (and collective push back of course).

That being said, I would like either a new, better written, OGL for future use; or they could just adopt ORC if that develops well.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
That closes the gap for things that only rely on the SRD. But take something like Night of Frozen Shadows (part 2 of the Jade Regent AP), which in addition to the SRD uses Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary, Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors III, as well as three monsters (separately credited) from Tome of Horrors, Revised.

Tome of Horrors and its later-edition versions would likely be a particularly sticky point. I don't know what Necromancer Games' deal with Wizards was regarding the monsters in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they (and their successor Frog God Games) don't have the rights to release it under CC even if they wanted to.
Is there anything the can do about that though? I mean really, is there? I am assuming those were published under the OGL 1.0a. If so, the best WotC can do is to not touch it - which they said is the plan (I know, I know). They can't retroactively change those licenses. They can make a new one, a OGL 1.0b if you will, but that doesn't change the contract those products were published under.

The only thing I can think of is republishing everything under the OGL 1.0(a) under a new better license, the CC for example, and that takes more than WotC to achieve.

dave2008

Legend
I just meant that they were going to make a move to change the game enough that it couldn't be retro-cloned off the 5.1 SRD, not that it would look anything like 4E.
That is possible, but I don't see that happen for '24 D&D. Maybe if and when they get around to a true 6e. '24 D&D was not that and I don't expect them to change their plans for '24 D&D now.

It feels to me that the D&D creatives in WotC won a victory and they may be able to push forward and win the war. We will see though.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
If they actually literally release the 5.1 SRD into the Creative Commons, which it seems they've already done, then it realistically doesn't matter. They don't control the CC, and once you release something into the CC, you can't take it back (as the creators of the CC-BY-SA intended), and not only that, but CC-BY-SA includes the requirement that the license is (and must be) transferable to others as well.
It's CC-BY, not CC-BY-SA. There is no sharealike requirement.

I can now write things containing "dragonborn" and not be constantly worried about a C&D ruining everything because I can't fight a winnable but expensive court case.
If not actually having a case does not absolutely prevent lawfare under OGL then it does not prevent it under the CC either. Although it does probably make it rather less likely.

How do we know we can trust them?
We cannot. To quote Maya Angelou once again, "When someone shows you who they are believe them the first time."

In other words, you shouldn't ever actually trust a corporation.
You cannot live in the modern world without trusting multiple corporations every day. The trick is that trust should never be absolute, and should be reassessed when a company does something as monumentally monstrous as what WotC attempted to do.

I might be mis-remembering, but I thought that the goal all along was for OneD&D to be completely compatible with 5E.
That was the stated aim, but two playtest packets in we have only seen a tiny subset of the full proposed game and they have already introduced multiple significant incompatibilities.

Wait a minute… Wizards of the Coast are evil and hate players right? Why on earth would they do this…
"Hate" may not quite be the word, but "has contempt for" certainly fits. EDIT: Not everyone who works for WotC of course, but a non-trivial portion of their senior management.

Formally and publicly disclaiming that they or their successors have the right or ability to ever de-authorize or revoke OGL 1.0a would be a pretty forceful statement.
It wouldn't hurt, but they already did that and it did not prevent the recent shenanigans (although it may be why the partially backed down rather than powering through).

Yes, my understanding is that it doesn't have a feature to protect your work like "Product Identity" (except trademarks) in the OGL. I find it a little funny that some people clamoring for D&D to be freely available to everyone are really trying to hold on to their own creations whike using someone else's whole-hog!
You get that CC-BY has no sharealike requirement at all, right? So you indignation against people wanting partial but not total downstream licensing seems rather misplaced.

I am not sure what you are getting at, but they could release more edition SRDs under CC, as the discussed in the OGL 1.2 FAQ.
They could, but why would they. With all the people declaring victory and patting themselves and WotC on the back, the pressure for further concessions has evaporated.

If you are talking specifically about OGL1.0(a), then there is really nothing they can do about that. The can make a new version of the license with irrevocable or whatever, but that doesn't change the existing license.
I don't get why both you and @Mistwell stated that there is nothing they can do about it, and then immediately list the thing they can do about it. They could release a 1.0b which is identical to 1.0a except that it includes the word "irrevocable" in a couple of prominent places and gives a sensible definition for "authorised", and then release their SRDs under it. Section 9 would pretty-much take care of the rest. EDIT: Nothing is completely proof against bad actors, but that applies to the CC too. Nonetheless, everything you close off or clarify makes misbehaviour less likely.

All they can do is promise to not try to deauthorize - which they did.
No, they did not. They said they are not deauthorising it right now. They have not promised that they will never try again in the future, nor admitted that they lack the power to do so.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If I'm reading the particular CC licence correctly, it also makes content released under it use the same licence. So you'd get to use Mind Flayers and Beholders if you wanted to; but then your own IP would also become available for anyone else to use in the future. So, ah, when people talk about just wanting to make content for D&D - go ahead, but you're not making content and stopping others from using it afterwards.
They released the SRD under CC-BY, not a CC-SA license. As such there is no share alike requirement for your adaptation of the SRD, you can do anything at least as restrictive as CC-BY, such as CC-ND-NC or locking down your new version under copyright (as long as you don't try to apply something like a DRM in a way that would hit the original source too).

teitan

Legend
I think what needs to be remembered that I am noticing also, especially amongst some of the OsR crowd, is that the OsR movement didn’t happen because WOTC released 0e-2e as OGC. Some on Twitter seem to be thinking that was the case but what enabled the OSR was Finch & Marshall back engineering the SRD into OSRIC and creating a license for that and then Finch constructing S&W white box, core & complete plus the BX and BECMI clones that emerged off of that original move, showing that it could be done. There is some hubbub about it and how they need to release those SRDs into CC as well. They don’t have the right to the SRDs that the OSR is built on to release them. Those publishers would need to do that.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases