WotC WotC Cancels 5 Video Games

While D&D itself seems to be still growing rapidly nearly 10 years after the launch of 5th Edition, WotC has recently scaled back its video game plans, costing up to 15 people their jobs, although they may be able to relocate within the company. WotC spoke to Bloomberg and told the site that they were "still committed to using digital games" and that the change in plans was designed to focus...

Dungeons-and-Dragons-Dark-Alliance-1298699017.jpg

While D&D itself seems to be still growing rapidly nearly 10 years after the launch of 5th Edition, WotC has recently scaled back its video game plans, costing up to 15 people their jobs, although they may be able to relocate within the company. WotC spoke to Bloomberg and told the site that they were "still committed to using digital games" and that the change in plans was designed to focus on "games which are strategically aligned with developing our existing brands and those which show promise in expanding or engaging our audience in new ways."

Studios working on games for WotC include Otherside Entertainment and Hidden Path Entertainment. WotC owns 6 video game studios in various cities according to CEO Cynthia Williams in an interview with GeekWire.

We’ve announced six different studios that are first-party and owned. There’s Archetype in Austin that’s working on a sci-fi game that we’re really excited about. It’s a new IP.

You’ve got Atomic Arcade in Raleigh-Durham, that’s working on a very mature G.I. Joe game, and then, Invoke is working on a D&D game. The key piece I’d tell you is that we have been really fortunate to hire some amazing industry veterans, who have a passion for the brands and games that they’re building.

The Bloomberg article also mentions an internal cancelled project code-named 'Jabberwocky', but does not say what that was.

Also interesting they're aiming for only 15 people to lose their jobs entirely, by letting people change roles. One wonders if this ties in with the 350 people they're getting to work on the 3D VTT.

I don't know how many people they're keeping, but losing only 15 people sounds like it could be a surprisingly positive sign, IMNSHO. Well, maybe not really positive, but at least not as negative as some may think. Assuming they're keeping a good number of people, that may just be restructuring. "Restructuring" in the real sense, as opposed to all the times corporations use the term "restructuring" to mean "we're firing 80% of the division".

Jaeger

That someone better
this seems to have a lot to do with the fact that at least some of the projects they cancelled were outsourced to independent studios

Hasbro/WotC are just trimming the fat imho.

In the investor call Cocks said that on the hasbro side they were trimming everything down to just 8 profitable core brands, and focusing on them.

Letting go of e-one and trimming the video game side just seem to be part of that. They don't really need their own movie studio anymore now that they seemingly have sorted out the rights for D&D films, and have gotten one made. They can outsource that going forward using the connections they made doing Honor among thieves.

More of the same for the videogames side.

They have spent tens of millions acquiring these studios - they need to start paying off at some point. Hasbro/WotC is just trimming down and focusing on high percentage money makers.

Come 2023-2024 WotC is going to unload a lot of digital, film, and tv content for D&D.

And they really need it all to stick the landing and make money.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My take. More limited cashflow than expected means there are going to be cuts. On the bright side, the most likely games to be cut would be the ones that have been in development the least. Games are usually expensive to make so it makes sense they would have been one of the first things cut.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think they had much idea on how to make a game. They throw around buzzwords like AAA+ titles but that's usually applied to games that are you know actually successful.

They bought a heap of no name studios with minimal product or reputation.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft has 7 studios working on a single game each one is north of 100 million.

I suspect it's a few tens of millions of dollars that will end up sprayed against a wall. You can make cheap games but you normally need passion and vision from a dedicated group/creator to do it.

Remove ads

Remove ads