WotC WotC D&D Community Update

WotC posted a community update to share news of what they are working on for community outreach.

WotC posted a community update to share news of what they are working on for community outreach.

49B06082-2058-4816-8C3D-69AA4A9CF07B.png

ccooke

Adventurer
I think people expect both too much and too little of corporations, especially fan-linked ones like WotC.

A corporation doesn't think anything, but the people within it do. Mostly there will be a wide range of opinions within a corporation on what it should do - often contradictory. Sometimes the people with the most power get out of touch with what they can get away with, and they make stupid, damaging mistakes. We know there are a whole set of different people within WotC arguing for more openness, and sometimes they have won major points - the ogl originally, releasing 5e under it (eventually - I expect part of the reason that took a while is that it was a hard fight). There have been - and always will be - people who will advocate for more strict control. The gsl, and this latest debacle.

My read on this year's drama is that a bunch of the senior people tried it on, failed abysmally and the people inside who value openness tried to salvage things. The fan response was vastly more concerted, quick and decisive than ever before, and a clear change of direction has happened. The people who advocated for the new ogl are probably shaken, and won't try this again.

Until they're replaced. Or forget.

Hopefully we'll get another ten years of the lesson sticking, but that's the thing about corporations - institutional memory erodes.

So, yeah. I expect we will get a few years of good behaviour out of them, and I hope the next time that ends, it's something smaller - or we have a similar strength and unity in the community to react to it, so they learn the lesson again.

(And no, I expect any major ip holder to go through phases like this. WotC are neither unusual nor especially evil. We are lucky, though, in having influential advocates for openness in the hobby and within Wizards; if the latter in particulsr had not been there, I expect this latest mess to have taken longer and ended much worse)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It never was.
Yeah, it’s a case of someone noting that they’ve been saying “one D&D” less, and instead saying “the phb rules update”, “rules update playtest”, or just, “this unearthed arcana series” in recent videos, and then some folks take that to mean I or others think that wotc is ditching one D&D or whatever.

Vincent55

Adventurer
It's pretty simple:

If you don't like the business practices of Hasbro/WoTC don't buy their products.

If you don't like their products (5e or otherwise) don't buy their products.

Plenty of alternatives out there.
AS I said before I stopped supporting them before all this mess happened because the quality was going down and the instances of them constantly up dating and changing things.

Remove ads

Remove ads