• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC D&D Community Update

WotC posted a community update to share news of what they are working on for community outreach.

WotC posted a community update to share news of what they are working on for community outreach.

49B06082-2058-4816-8C3D-69AA4A9CF07B.png

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
this is a corporation, not a person completely different I don't trust a politician as far as the dwarf can toss them and corporations are in the same category.
Corporations are fictional entities, not real entities. It's PEOPLE, not a faceless machine. We know their names, see their faces, hear them talk about it, they have families. So I ask again, do you hold these people to a different standard than you hold yourself?

But let's say you don't trust corporations. OK, so you trust them now exactly as much as you trusted the before this, right?

Oh, I see, this was your stances BEFORE all this happened:

Like many others, i am tired of the "new" version that is "compatible" with the "new" version so they can repackage the books in a slightly better or worse version of the game. The 5e was the last straw for me, and with the new generation of players who i have tried to DM, i have no interest in bending to accommodate their lack of intelligence, mind you a slim portion is not bad, but the bulk of them are. Also, the stuff they are releasing has very few rules or crunch and does little to help me as a DM. Now it is about collectable covers, and dividing the stuff up between many different areas so you can't just buy one book and be done.

Got it. So...you were just trolling this thread because you had already concluded 5e new players lack intelligence and 5e was already the last straw for you. Again, that's before OneD&D. Understood.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Corporations are fictional entities, not real entities. It's PEOPLE, not a faceless machine. We know their names, see their faces, hear them talk about it, they have families. So I ask again, do you hold these people to a different standard than you hold yourself?
It is a collective of people acting through the entity.

That thing they are using to act through is different than each individual one of its parts. Believe me, I'm one of those sad pieces of ablative armor people hold up to protect corporations from criticism and I'm here to say: fire away: I know I'm not to blame. That was the whole point in the first place.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It is a collective of people acting through the entity.

That thing they are using to act through is different than each individual one of its parts. Believe me, I'm one of those sad pieces of ablative armor people hold up to protect corporations from criticism and I'm here to say: fire away: I know I'm not to blame. That was the whole point in the first place.
I am not protecting a corporation from criticism. He used a standard of corporations do not get a second chance, ever, for any reason. But that he wouldn't apply that standard to his own life. It's fair to ask if that makes sense. And as it turned out, he hated them already before all of this, and thinks all new 5e players lack intelligence, and this is just more of his fairly longstanding bash on WOTC, 5e, and 5e players. I don't think it was about him giving anyone a second chance.

dave2008

Legend
One would not claim "Managed to get lower %" unless they already had that on paper, I would think.
Sure, but you don't say "more being discussed" if it is a signed done deal. You said:

"They negotiated with, and signed an agreement with Kickstarter."

It is basically moot, but it doesn't appear like anything was signed. It still seems like things were fluid even for KS.
Then again, this was a clown show from start to finish by multi million, to billion, dollar companies, so who can really say at this point.
Yes

mamba

Legend
I simply don't see the point of continuing to be upset. You do you of course.
You do not have to see the point, all you were asked to do is leave it alone (not even that, really) ;)

I am not upset, I just do not like you glossing over what happened

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
You do not have to see the point, all you were asked to do is leave it alone ;)

Also, I am not upset, I just do not like you glossing over what happened
The problem I have is that you keep insisting that I'm glossing over something. I'm not. I understand what they thought about doing, although I may have differing opinions on what the impact may be (i.e. I don't think there's any indication the goal was to end all 3PP). What they did was a stupid unforced blunder put in motion by bureaucrats who didn't understand the culture. It was a mistake, and people were rightly upset because they had been told for a long time the the OGL 1.0a was never going away. I accept the enormity people thought that the change would have. But in the end they reversed course and then some.

I judge people (and, in this case, corporations) by what they do not what they think about doing. I've never believed WOTC has my best interest at heart, I don't trust them less now because I never trusted them in the first place. If accepting that people think about doing things that I disagree with is not the same as actually doing that thing is "glossing over" anything, we just have difference of opinion on what the term means. 🤷‍♂️

mamba

Legend
The problem I have is that you keep insisting that I'm glossing over something. I'm not.
I guess we disagree on that

I understand what they thought about doing, although I may have differing opinions on what the impact may be (i.e. I don't think there's any indication the goal was to end all 3PP). What they did was a stupid unforced blunder put in motion by bureaucrats who didn't understand the culture. It was a mistake, and people were rightly upset because they had been told for a long time the the OGL 1.0a was never going away. I accept the enormity people thought that the change would have. But in the end they reversed course and then some.
this sounds a lot better than
Not even a "done something wrong" situation. It's thought about and discussed doing something wrong but ultimately changed your mind before you actually did anything and then bent over backwards to make it right.

To me it still stresses the thinking part too much when it had definitely left that stage behind, but at least it does not try to pretend that there is nothing anyone reasonable could possibly be upset about. But yeah, this does belong elsewhere and I do not want to derail this further.

Remove ads

Remove ads