WotC WotC doesn’t own the trademark for Mind Flayer

Burt Baccara

Explorer
I talked to him not a couple months ago, and he does have the rights. He thinks he won’t win in court because he hasn’t pressed it over the years. I think he’s mistaken on that because I don’t think failure to press copyright in the past automatically means he loses it. But as of a couple months ago, he said he still holds the rights.

My conversation with Ray Winnger pretty much backed it up (not Tim’s specific case, but in general)
Copyright has a three-year statute of limitation.

Dausuul

Legend
Copyright has a three-year statute of limitation.
I'm no expert on copyright law, but I'm damn sure copyright lasts longer than three years.

There appears to be a three-year statute of limitations on copyright infringement, but that still puts WotC on the hook for every Monster Manual they've sold in the last three years. And then there's D&D Beyond subs, which I have no idea how you'd even begin to assess.

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Look, it's been a long few years, but if October no longer exists, I feel like someone would have said something.
In the real world the calendar marches on, but on the Internet (if you're old enough) we've been in Eternal September since 1993.

(Back in the day the internet was mostly academics - September was when the new students would show up with their school accounts and things would be nuts for a while on Usenet until they learned the culture. Then in '93 the major BBS providers like AOL and Delphi became ISPs and, well, that was the year that September never ended.)

Remove ads