D&D 5E WotC Dungeons & Dragons 2020 Product Survey

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given that they seem to have struck a nice content balance with setting books recently, I'd be perfectly fine with that. I'd love to see 5e Greyhawk and Planescape done in such a manner (although giving more than a small paragraph for some planar layers might be hard unless there's an expanded page count). I really hope that SCAG and hardcover adventure placement doesn't preclude the Forgotten Realms from getting the same treatment though. Maybe they'll just lightly cover the Sword Coast and cover the rest of the setting in greater detail, which will allow the rest of the setting to get the "evergreen" treatment while letting the Sword Coast be more changeable...

The Forgotten Realms is getting a small region focus every year: a broader FRCS doesn't seem likely, but they will cover a lot of ground by the time they are done with 5E, I think.

Never occured to me last night when I was filling it out but after I thought about it today, that it probably likely theyll pander to a newer younger gamers. Just a guess.

Not necessarily. If you've played every edition of the game and it's clear what products you do and don't buy, then this means you're almost a guaranteed ongoing customer--as long as they produce the stuff you will actually buy. So it's not necessarily a knock against you.

R_J_K75

Legend
Not necessarily. If you've played every edition of the game and it's clear what products you do and don't buy, then this means you're almost a guaranteed ongoing customer--as long as they produce the stuff you will actually buy. So it's not necessarily a knock against you.

Sounds reasonable guess we'll just have to see how things progress with product announcements.

The Forgotten Realms is getting a small region focus every year: a broader FRCS doesn't seem likely, but they will cover a lot of ground by the time they are done with 5E, I think.
Other than Chult, they haven't moved out of the area covered in SCAG though. If they're to cover the rest of the world, they should get on with it!

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I get so much use out of this.

Attachments

• 20200108_070924.png
    20200108_070924.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 149

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Other than Chult, they haven't moved out of the area covered in SCAG though. If they're to cover the rest of the world, they should get on with it!

No need to be hasty, it's only been 6 years. I would expect them to move on after detailing the SCAG region specifically: the Moonshaes, Neverwinter, Luskan, Daggerford, etc. can still be touched upon.

lkj

Hero
A WotC D&D VTT is essentially guaranteed at this point, based off this survey.
This seems like a customer survey designed, (in part), to evaluate what features will get prioritized, and assigned to PMs.

It very well might contain DM tools. Adios DND Beyond in the future?

The other questions were more curious. It seems likely WotC is looking to mine some D&D IP for a future product. I just don't know if this is to be a stand alone product or bundled with the presumptive D&D Brand VTT.

WotC might be trying to ascertain strategies to get people to adopt the D&D Brand VTT.
If a D&D Brand VTT was released with a reboot of the classic Dragonlance modules included,
(Just one possible example, feel free to insert the dream preference of your choice),
I could see that bundle impacting adoption.

Part of me also was hoping we might see some conversion of Arneson adventures like City of the Gods and Temple of the Frog. Sprinkle in a little Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and we can get a Sci/Fantasy Anthology Module set.

Really not sure why we think their asking about digital tools and VTT means they'd want to do it themselves. It's in their interest to know what their user base wants to keep playing, and they can easily achieve this through existing partnerships. DDB appears to be enormously popular and has served digital needs in way that WotC have never done successfully. And DDB is planning on incorporating some version of a VTT down the road. Trying to build something new in house would seem remarkably foolhardy.

In other words, sure, they could try to do it themselves. But why not instead work with an already highly successful partner to do it?

AD

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases