D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Yaarel

He Mage
Maybe they just agree with his philosophy here. Everyone has their own stance.
But what philosophy? Fighters are supposed to suck? How is that a philosophy? I personally cannot comprehend a game that is designed that way.

In an other thread, there is a decent personality inventory that lists the D&D classes that a person might enjoy.

Different people enjoy different class concepts. It seems unethical to make certain classes inferior, because it interferes with the participation and power dynamics among reallife players.

Every class should roughly balance across every tier at every level.

Gaming balance matters.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I personally don't like them being in the core books. I never have. I find them antithetical to my taste in fantasy. Strongly so. So while I like that they are there for those who want them, I would greatly prefer that they were in supplementary books. Putting them in the core makes them harder to ignore and means I have to make a decision about whether to exclude them from character creation, for example.
Welcome! Join the club! Personally, I'm all for more options for different campaign themes be included if, for not other reason, it will break more players out of the "if it is in the PHB, it must be allowed." Maybe there are some psionics haters out there who have been giving me grief since 2014 for limiting race and class options, who will no have an a-ha moment.

5e was always a bit of a kitchen sink game. If you want to run a kitchen sink campaign, having some more thematically incongruous options isn't going to harm one's campaign. But most of my campaigns have species and class limits. I can ignore the psionic class as easily as I can ignore dragonborn or monks. Or use them in my psionic dragonborn monk campaign and ignore other options.

Yaarel

He Mage
When people talk about the Fighter lacking magic, many end up wanting to the Fighter to be even more powerful in combat.

The Fighter is already extremely powerful in combat. This misses the problem.

What magic offers is a way for the player to control the story. Magic decides if a combat happens or not.

What the Fighter needs is a way to decide how a narrative unfolds.

Remove ads

Remove ads