D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Remathilis

Legend
I think Goblins should be in the new PHB, so they don't have to rewrite the Goblin PC entry every time they release a new campaign setting.

In theory, Monsters of the Multiverse was supposed to be '24 looking and be a repository for all the races not in the PHB. They have slowly eroded this however, first by having some races make the jump to the PHB (orc, goliath) with changes made to them, as well as changing how former subraces are being handled (from separate species sharing a type to being lineages in the core race, often just being a single species feature granting bonus spells) so I suppose a MotP Take 2 will eventually be released. Another excuse to sell us a book, I guess.

In theory, Monsters of the Multiverse was supposed to be '24 looking and be a repository for all the races not in the PHB. They have slowly eroded this however, first by having some races make the jump to the PHB (orc, goliath) with changes made to them, as well as changing how former subraces are being handled (from separate species sharing a type to being lineages in the core race, often just being a single species feature granting bonus spells) so I suppose a MotP Take 2 will eventually be released. Another excuse to sell us a book, I guess.

Yeah, MotP should have come AFTER 5.75e phb, not before.

I would like Leonin and Loxodon updated too, you can use those stats for Wemics and Loxo. So maybe in a future book you could have Wemic with a side bar saying that Wemics and Leonin are mechanically the identical dispite looking so different and Loxo and Loxodons are identical except for Loxo having two trunks.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I sometimes feel like a lot of arguments against "non-magical" classes being able to do certian things... have people failing to realize just how many amazing and unlikely things people can do and have done throughout history. In the REAL world.

Indeed! I like my D&D to be pretty low-magic and grounded, but I'm fine with a certain level of "movie-logic" as long as it's not too over-the-top.

OTOH, I'm actually okay with that sort of thing happening at high-level (partly because I generally don't like to play high-level anyhow, but also because I think it could be totally appropriate there). This is why I would personally advocate for a grounded level 1-12 and a suitably epic level 13-20.

While I think that would actually go over well for most of the audience of the game, if they were clear about the design goals (and even better - made optional rules for altering that concept for people who want other things from the game). I don't expect it to happen, and I'll happily play anyhow.
If only WotC actually was clear about its design goals...

I want a dedicated Psion race. What, we can have dedicated races for the elements (genasi), divinity (aasimar), and devil/demon stuff (tieflings), but not Psionics?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I want a dedicated Psion race. What, we can have dedicated races for the elements (genasi), divinity (aasimar), and devil/demon stuff (tieflings), but not Psionics?
As long as it's not the 4e Shardmind!
1714272814792.png

Or at least, if it's something like that, it needs a new name and a new look!

I don't have a problem with psychic crystal-people, but the 4e "stick two words together" naming convention... didn't always strike gold, and the design... was not what I would call inspired (or inspiring).

Remove ads

Remove ads