• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You mean like Gith and Gem Dragonborn and Duergars?
Yeah, any of those would be good. Heck, all of them would work, as Dragonborn and Dwarves are definitely in, so "sub-species" (ugh, that might be even worse than sub-race) or Duergar and Gem DB might easily fit, making Gith the best additional species. Plus, they were in Baldur's Gate 3 as a PC, so there is synergy there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, any of those would be good. Heck, all of them would work, as Dragonborn and Dwarves are definitely in, so "sub-species" (ugh, that might be even worse than sub-race) or Duergar and Gem DB might easily fit, making Gith the best additional species. Plus, they were in Baldur's Gate 3 as a PC, so there is synergy there.
You know what, Baldur's Gate 3 may have been big enough to get the Gith in the PHB after the UA was done.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, I wager they will spin it much like they did when they made the jump from Volo/Tome of Foes to MotM. You can use the old one, but the shiny new one works better with the current rules in the new PHB.

And to be fair, some do still work fine. Some don't (Earth genasi will be incompatible with the new version of blade ward) and some will change to match the new formatting (sea, astral, shadar-kai and eladrin elves being reduced to lineages of the PHB elf). And some are still waiting for their upgrade from 1.0 (Hello warforged). So I figure that update will come sooner rather than later.
I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

Kurotowa

Legend
A Githyanki Psi Warrior is kind of an unusual individual, but player characters are unusual by their nature to start with. It is distinctly D&D, and not something that just screams "generic fantasy."
Thematically it's good, but it's always bugged me that Psi Warrior gets a "Resistance to psychic damage" class feature and most of the innately psionic races like Gith and Kalashtar also get it as a trait. I know it's not a big deal, but that sort of overlapping redundancy is like an itch I can't scratch.

I can only hope they tweak it as part of updating Psi Warrior.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thematically it's good, but it's always bugged me that Psi Warrior gets a "Resistance to psychic damage" class feature and most of the innately psionic races like Gith and Kalashtar also get it as a trait. I know it's not a big deal, but that sort of overlapping redundancy is like an itch I can't scratch.

I can only hope they tweak it as part of updating Psi Warrior.
Well, it strikes me that putting the Gith, the Psionic Subclasses, and the Tasha's Paionic Feats in the PHB would be a great way to smooth thst sort of thing out in a regular fashion.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well, it strikes me that putting the Gith, the Psionic Subclasses, and the Tasha's Paionic Feats in the PHB would be a great way to smooth thst sort of thing out in a regular fashion.
I think we have a good chance of being correct here. It lines up and strikes me as a good idea. (Though sometimes I feel that things that are THIS good an idea are less likely to happen because they are TOO good an idea!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think we have a good chance of being correct here. It lines up and strikes me as a good idea. (Though sometimes I feel that things that are THIS good an idea are less likely to happen because they are TOO good an idea!)
Well, the thing is that it just doesn't seem like a good idea but a good idea thst would be easy to sell in a corporate meeting without requiring massive resources to pull off.

Remove ads

Remove ads