D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I was wrong about the name being Ancestries, but they must not have been consistent in calling it anything besides Race prior to now, because it was even called Race in the 2022 Character Origins UA made in preparation for this exact book.
It got changed to species in the 3rd UA, “cleric and revised species,” and explicitly asked for feedback on the change in the survey for that UA. It has been consistent since then, so I imagine it must have met their satisfaction threshold in that survey.

Lupin

Explorer
Assassin would make sense, under similar logic to the justification for the removal of the Assassin class in 2e - anyone who commits political murder and/or murder for higher is an assassin, so having it be a subclass is a bit unusual. More importantly, they’ve struggled to come up with a satisfying version of the Assassinate feature. Players want such a feature to significantly increase damage, but the designers don’t one one subclass to have significantly higher damage output than the others (to their credit, I think). So, rather than continue to struggle to crack that nut, cut the subclass and replace it with a psychic subclass, since that’s something there’s a certain demand for anyway.

EDIT: Presumably Psi Knight replaced Brawler.
I think they explicitly mentioned that Brawler didn't make the cut in the video above. Around the time they're talking about the Psi Knight.

Agreed. One thing I would like to see in D&D2024 are Aasimar and Tieflings who are tied to other kinds of Celestials and Fiends.
Tieflings in the UA were vaguely tied to Devils (Infernal), Demons (Abyssal) or Yugoloths (Chthonic). And I think they even suggested that some Chthonic Tieflings might be descendants of Succubi or Night Hags. No direct mention of Rakshasa or Demodands/Gehreleths, but they do suggest that Infernal Tieflings could be part Rakshasa and Abyssal Tieflings might be part Demodand/Gehreleth based on the planes they might be linked to.

Assassin would make sense, under similar logic to the justification for the removal of the Assassin class in 2e - anyone who commits political murder and/or murder for higher is an assassin, so having it be a subclass is a bit unusual. More importantly, they’ve struggled to come up with a satisfying version of the Assassinate feature. Players want such a feature to significantly increase damage, but the designers don’t one one subclass to have significantly higher damage output than the others (to their credit, I think). So, rather than continue to struggle to crack that nut, cut the subclass and replace it with a psychic subclass, since that’s something there’s a certain demand for anyway.
Well, a Soulknife could be a better Assassin than an Assassin, based on the fact they don't need to carry around any weapons.

Tieflings in the UA were vaguely tied to Devils (Infernal), Demons (Abyssal) or Yugoloths (Chthonic). And I think they even suggested that some Chthonic Tieflings might be descendants of Succubi or Night Hags. No direct mention of Rakshasa or Demodands/Gehreleths, but they do suggest that Infernal Tieflings could be part Rakshasa and Abyssal Tieflings might be part Demodand/Gehreleth based on the planes they might be linked to.
The UA material regarding the Ardlings would work well for Aasimar of Angel, Archon and Guardinal descent then. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads