WotC: Goodbye, Loren Greenwood, hello Greg Leeds

Quartz

Hero
Do we actually know that he's not a gamer? He's the right age to have been one at least. And having been in charge of boys' toys, he must be well aware of RPGs.

I, for one, wish him well.

Last edited:

AnonymousOne

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I've seen too many marketers and MBA holders convinced that they could "manage anything". I want the head guy at WoTC to be a gamer. Not some marketing suit. This is another example that WoTC is headed in the wrong direction. Nothing good will come of this.

So basically I need to get an MBA and run WotC.

Let me just get right on that... :uhoh:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Rabelais said:
Hannah Montana: Queen of the Damned. It's a bit LARPish for my taste, but not bad if you can ignore the character creation rules.
So... this Thursday, then?

Quartz said:
Do we actually know that he's not a gamer? He's the right age to have been one at least. And having been in charge of boys' toys, he must be well aware of RPGs.
They're not "dolls," they're "ACTION FIGURES!"

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Prediction:

After crucifying this guy and spouting all kinds of assumptions based on uninformed opinion about him, EN World will turn around and kiss his ass everytime he posts about the weather in Renton just like they did with Scott Rouse.

diaglo

Adventurer
jaerdaph said:
Prediction:

After crucifying this guy and spouting all kinds of assumptions based on uninformed opinion about him, EN World will turn around and kiss his ass everytime he posts about the weather in Renton just like they did with Scott Rouse.
i'm a Manchester United fan.

Leeds United sucks.

is that what you mean?

Tetsubo

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
I completely disagree with you.

I've worked in the biotech industry my entire career. In my experience the best of these companies are the ones where the organization is run by a business person who knows when to direct, when to change direction and when to stay out of the way of the scientists who ultimately supply the value to the company.

Companies where the top scientist is the CEO usually get themselves run into the ground until investors insist on a change.

I want to see WotC run by a person who wants the division to be an important part of Hasbro, knows how to manage the corporate executives at HQ as well as the people at WotC, and lets the gamers who develop and produce the products do their job with minimal interference. I don't know if this guy is the one to do that, but I'm willing to wait and see rather than immediately condemn him for (probably) not being a gamer.

My personal experience has been different. I've never met a person with an MBA that I would let manage a lemonade stand, let alone a company. They have shown me a complete lack of understanding of those that work for them AND a total failure to grasp reality. If it doesn't fit their preconceived notion of how the world works, it gets ignored. I believe that at some point in the process of acquiring an MBA the brain is killed off. It is then replaced by an overwhelming sense of importance and entitlement.

Again, I want a gamer to head WoTC.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I've never met a person with an MBA that I would let manage a lemonade stand, let alone a company. They have shown me a complete lack of understanding of those that work for them AND a total failure to grasp reality. If it doesn't fit their preconceived notion of how the world works, it gets ignored. I believe that at some point in the process of acquiring an MBA the brain is killed off. It is then replaced by an overwhelming sense of importance and entitlement.
My experience precisely

An MBA is like a beacon that says I don't really know @#$% about how business actually works. I just took a lot of classes that left me with an o'erweening sense of self-importance and arrogance. In my experience the last person you want running things is the MBA person, you want someone with a background of hands-on management. The MBA crew seldom know how what they are attempting to manage works outside a theoretical level.

Remove ads