WotC: Goodbye, Loren Greenwood, hello Greg Leeds

Tetsubo

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
Walmart should be the goal... Toys r Us a stepping stone.

Oddly I've bought RPG books off of the WalMart online store. But they aren't carried in the brick and mortar stores. It's like a dirty little secret.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I think the main problem, and it's easy to see why given the site's purpose, is that people want "a gamer" in charge, which assumes an RPG gamer. Why would a MtG guy want an RPGer in charge? Why does Dreamscape need a D&D guru at the helm?

I could see if the company was mostly/ all D&D, but that's what brand managers are for, to properly know their area.

D.Shaffer

First Post
So...he's responsible for the newish GI Joe 25th Anniversary figs and Transformers Classics? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for those if nothing else. :)

Well that and I'm not ready to declare someone the devil incarnate before I see how he does.

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Gamer CEO's

jaerdaph said:
And we all know how well that worked for TSR...

The executive leadership of TSR/WotC went something like this:

Gygax/Kaye
Gygax/Blume/Blume
Blume/Blume
Gygax/lending institution
Lorraine Williams
Peter Adkinson
Hasbro

During the Gygax/Kaye era D&D was first published, print runs of 1000, then 2000, then 3000 then tens of thousands: explosive success

During Gygax/Blume/Blume (after the death of Don Kaye and his widow selling her shares), release of 1st Ed. AD&D: explosive success

During Blume/Blume (the Blume family forcing minority owner Gygax out of control, who then went to LA), TSR degenerates

When TSR is on the verge of going bankrupt thanks to the idiotic policies of the Blumes, Gary comes back, convinces the lender to let him control the company, and Gary returns the company to profitability. Unfortunately, he is still minority shareholder, and the Blumes sell their shares to Lorraine Williams, who sees TSR/D&D as a tool for making money for her Buck Rogers brand.

AD&D 2nd Edition is released under Lorraine Williams with David "Zeb" Cook as primary author, a project Gygax was planning before he was expelled from the company. Madam Williams expresses her contempt for gamers, tunnels money out of TSR into her Buck Rogers brand, and runs TSR into the ground. Lorraine William's also sees to it that TSR is never employee owned, contrary to Gygax's intention when he returned.

Peter Adkinson, a gamer and businessman, and WotC buy out TSR, and release 3E D&D.

The Haze Bros buy WotC, which WotC sells because the shareholders see the money Hasbro offers for the company, and Adkinson doesn't have sole control. WotC then releases D&D 3.5. And is now planning on 4.0 .

The trend analysis tells me two things:

The gamer/businessmen (Gygax and Adkinson) both were successful

and

The gamer/businessmen not having majority ownership/control came back to bite them.

So yeah, to quote you again...

jaerdaph said:
And we all know how well that worked for TSR...

It did work quite well.
Too bad the gamers never had ownership/control.

Pretty much the only argument you can make about bad gamer owners would be the Blumes, but they were even bad gamers, with lame characters serially named Rigby, Bigby, Digby, etc. and who can forget good old Medium Rary.

And the nepotism and extravagance they practiced to the ruination of the company are hardly some kind of unique characteristic to gamers.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Sanguinemetaldawn: nice summary.

Still, I am willing to give the new guy a chance...and it is worth noting that everyone else invovled with D&D at WotC seems to be an active gamer. (and some are very enthusiastic about it). Which was not the case for much of the TSR era.

Remove ads