WotC WotC in a small decline as revenue drops by 16% as Hasbro shares hit a new 52-week low

MGibster

Legend
That makes some sense. Dark Alliance was an absolute trashfire. I'm surprised they even released it. I'd have been very tempted to just halt development and make it a full tax write-off.
What? If it was a Bat Woman movie, sure, but cancel a video game? Actually, now that you mention it, I don't even remember hearing about this game.

darjr

I crit!
What? If it was a Bat Woman movie, sure, but cancel a video game? Actually, now that you mention it, I don't even remember hearing about this game.
It was front page when it was announced in 2019.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I have to admit I haven't bought much from WotC lately, not because I'm mad at them but they just haven't released anything worth buying.

The Wild Beyond The Witchlight - Sounds cool, but is a campaign, so no sale.
Fizban's Treasury of Dragons - Maybe I'm playing the wrong game, but I've never been keen on dragons, and nothing in it seemed exciting. I think that's first sourcebook I've skipped in 5E (rather than a setting book or adventure).
Strixhaven - Is a campaign with a relatively sketched-out setting that has a massive tonal conflict with the much edgier/cool MtG take on the same setting. Again not buying campaigns.
Call of the Netherdeep - Sounds cool, but it's a campaign, so no sale.
Journeys Through The Radiant Citadel - Cute but I need a bunch of short but extremely heavily themed and location-specific adventures like I need a hole in the head.
Spelljammer - A wildly underdetailed, overpriced very straight take on a setting I was only ever moderately keen on. Custom designed to avoid me buying it!

I did get MotM though, but that's it. Normally I'd have spent a lot more. What's interesting to me is, via Beyond, I can see the purchases of the other DMs I play with via Beyond/Roll 20, and one of them bought The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, and another one bought MotM, but that's it. That's unusual for those three. One of them habitually buys virtually every setting and adventure book, and the other buys most settings, but neither bought anything.

I might buy Dragonlance, but like, every time the designer does an interview they seem to manage to make it slightly less attractive. I wasn't expecting some hardline trad Dragonlance, but it sounds awfully like they're going for generic fantasy with a vague DL motif (even by DL's low standards!), which is honestly a bit weird. So I'm very much awaiting reviews from people who aren't the kind of fan-reviewers who only give WotC print products between 3.5 and 5 stars lol.
I feel the same. Netherlight was a gift I barely cracked. Fizban's was ultimately an error in judgement on my part, and the rest managed to un-sell me one way or another.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I stopped buying 5th Ed books because I find them to be poor products.

I miss honest to god sourcebooks. Millions of ideas for adventures and fun reads to boot.

Now you get 10 pages of basic lore and a half asses adventure that need ed a rewrite or 2.

I mean I was excited for the Icewind Dale adventure and that was like 2 adventures spliced together and each made by a committee that never talked to each other.

Most of the published adventures they put out just fall apart about halfway to 2/3rds through.

Micah Sweet

"Hasbro cites that much of the drop is due to sizable delays to their Magic: the Gathering releases. Delays and other “supply chain challenges” hit pretty hard. And alongside that, bigger releases “and entertainment content” are scheduled for the fourth quarter as opposed to the third quarter."

That could be true, but it is also an excellent possible excuse as they wouldn't be to blame in that case.

Micah Sweet

It's been awhile since I've bought product too, and I used to buy absolutely everything.

Which is okay, because I've been spending a truckload of money on Free League and OSR in general just for the creativity and ambition.

Pathfinder 2E as well. My small group is having a blast with all the crunchy rules and latest evil aligned Adventure Path.

Oh, and LevelUp of course. Got my friend's group to convert over as well. Yay! Wishful thinking, but would be cool to see more people pick it up if One D&D doesn't deliver.
That's the dream...

Stormonu

Legend
I feel the same. Netherlight was a gift I barely cracked. Fizban's was ultimately an error in judgement on my part, and the rest managed to un-sell me one way or another.
Didn't pick up Netherlight (no interest in CR, it's actually a turn-off) and I agree on Fizban's. I got it as a Christmas present and haven't used it once. However, I think Tasha's was the book that started making me reconsider my D&D purchases.

Spelljammer was something I was definitely looking forward to, but it's anemic content now has me somewhat leery of getting more campaign settings. I have to admit I am picking up Dragonlance (I just couldn't resist a 5E version, and the Soth cover couldn't be passed up), but beyond that it's a very "wait and see" prospect, especially with what I'm seeing them do with OneD&D.

I suspect I'm not alone in watching all this going forward. With the pandemic out of the way and people starting to turn back to their old ways, I suspect they'll see a flat-lining ahead.

Micah Sweet

Didn't pick up Netherlight (no interest in CR, it's actually a turn-off) and I agree on Fizban's. I got it as a Christmas present and haven't used it once. However, I think Tasha's was the book that started making me reconsider my D&D purchases.

Spelljammer was something I was definitely looking forward to, but it's anemic content now has me somewhat leery of getting more campaign settings. I have to admit I am picking up Dragonlance (I just couldn't resist a 5E version, and the Soth cover couldn't be passed up), but beyond that it's a very "wait and see" prospect, especially with what I'm seeing them do with OneD&D.

I suspect I'm not alone in watching all this going forward. With the pandemic out of the way and people starting to turn back to their old ways, I suspect they'll see a flat-lining ahead.
I think I actually meant Witchlight; never actually bought Netherlight.

Tasha's is definitely the dividing line for me as well. The WotC world for me is now BT and AT.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases