WotC WotC invites Bob the World Builder and other creators to an in person Summit.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Everyone realizes that this is WoTc's attempt to butter up the influencers, right?....

I guess Kyle's damage control tour wasn't enough.
Yes to the first. No to the second.

They are approaching influencers for marketing reasons, sure. But, Kyle's tour wasn't about everything in the world, one and done for all time. That's not how marketing works. When they want to talk about new stuff, like VTT, they have to engage with the social media people again.

Scribe

Legend
People just need to look at how Magic uses its unpaid labour, aka Twitter folks, for marketing. Its practically free advertising to leverage people's passion for their hobby.

D&D needs to get the same type of people on their side, otherwise the system falls down.

But it goes deeper than that.

If the influencers get used to being wined and dined, they will be reluctant to ever criticize WoTC, and may go out of their way to defend them if they do something wrong.

Controlling the influencers is how they will control the narrative, and squash any legitimate concerns.
As a member of a profession that was wined and dined heavily until it was made illegal to do so, this isn't much.

This isn't "influencing the influencers" (although there is that) so much as "damage control". This is Wizards mending fences and trying to make sure the influencers don't actively hate them. They are casting a wide net, and, no disrespect intended, I'm surprised Bob made the cut. But, hey, good for him! He'll have a great time!

Now, if this happens biannually or quarterly, I would be more concerned about favorable influence. A one time deal after alienating a significant portion of the content creators? This is trying to rebuild the bridge they set on fire.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Interesting that it's to the Bellevue offices, as those are about to close. The dual-HQ in Renton and Bellevue disappears this summer. Bellevue is a boring generic satellite burb rather than a fun city with a statue of a dragon.

Edited to add: Anyone coming to the area that wants to see more of Renton, the City of Dragons, and learn a bit about the history of D&D in the area I'm available to hang out in the much more fun city -- you can even drop into my D&D games while you are here.
Yeah, but you're a Sounders fan, so....there might be conflicts...

PTFC!

aco175

Legend
I guess I need to watch more videos, I did not know who he was until I saw his picture. I have seen a video or two by him, but did not recognize his name only.

Good to hear that Wizards is making more effort to support conventions and such. Maybe more to the FLGS like they has several years ago.

Remove ads