WotC WotC Makes Over $1B In 2021!

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games. WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit. Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games...

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games.

WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit.

Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games grew 44% and accounted for 74% of the $1.3B sales for WotC in 2021. The division at Hasbro is 'Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming', so the remained came from the Digital Gaming side of things.

wotc.jpg

I wish I still had all my old alpha, beta and arabian knights cards. When I sold out I bought a car. Now I could probably have gotten a house.

Yep. An Alpha Black Lotus graded Gem Mint 10, signed by the artist, sold for over $500k in an auction about a year ago. And in 2020, an unsigned one sold for $250k at auction.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep. An Alpha Black Lotus graded Gem Mint 10, signed by the artist, sold for over $500k in an auction about a year ago. And in 2020, an unsigned one sold for $250k at auction.

Still wouldn't buy a house here lol.

Extreme case as well I guess most people who owned black lotus back in the day has a gem mint one. Only way to really get one is open alpha/beta product wearing rubber gloves.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Drive-by tangent: what do lesser grade BLs go for? Betas?

My collection goes back to Alpha, and I know I have a lot of the high value cards, but I haven’t looked at market values in a decade or more,

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Drive-by tangent: what do lesser grade BLs go for? Betas?

My collection goes back to Alpha, and I know I have a lot of the high value cards, but I haven’t looked at market values in a decade or more,
Alpha Lightning Bolts are going for $300-$500 if that gives you an idea. The prices for the older sets have gone through the roof, entered orbit and then blown up the moon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mine ARE NOT minty. They’ve seen some play,

I have a ridiculous amount of cards going up to 6thl with the earliest sets statistically overrepresented. MtG came out while I lived in Austin, and it was hot. Most stores sold out of initial runs within a couple weeks of a set’s release.

But one store in particular had a secondary supply line. The store owner had a colleague in Los Angeles who thought MtG would be HUGE, but his local customers just didn’t buy into it. So his store was constantly overstocked with dusty boxes of MtG. So the store in Austin started buying their excess. He’d have boxes coming in MONTHS after Austin was dry.

And I was buying LOTS! Not to collect, but to play. So I was chasing cards. (Stores hadn’t started selling singles yet.)

Zardnaar

Legend

I have a ridiculous amount of cards going up to 6thl with the earliest sets statistically overrepresented. MtG came out while I lived in Austin, and it was hot. Most stores sold out of initial runs within a couple weeks of a set’s release.

But one store in particular had a secondary supply line. The store owner had a colleague in Los Angeles who thought MtG would be HUGE, but his local customers just didn’t buy into it. So his store was constantly overstocked with dusty boxes of MtG. So the store in Austin started buying their excess. He’d have boxes coming in MONTHS after Austin was dry.

And I was buying LOTS! Not to collect, but to play. So I was chasing cards. (Stores hadn’t started selling singles yet.)

Still worth good money but a lot less if it's "low grade".

Still some people like them to use in vintage tourneys. Beat up power 9 is still power.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

A moderately played alpha Lotus is still about 40k. Maybe more now.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads