WotC WotC Makes Over $1B In 2021!

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games. WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit. Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games grew 44% and accounted for 74% of the $1.3B sales for WotC in 2021. The division at Hasbro is 'Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming', so the remained came from the Digital Gaming side of things. https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/50387/wotc-sold-over-950-million-tabletop-games-2021? https://www.enworld.org/threads/wotc-has-a-new-president.685792/

According to ICv2, D&D publisher WotC made over $1 billion in total sales in 2021, including $952M in tabletop games.

WotC is the first (and only) billion dollar publisher in tabletop RPGs, although much of this revenue will also be due to Magic the Gathering. It is responsible for a staggering 72% of Hasbro's total operating profit.

Interim CEO Rich Stoddart indicated that tabletop games grew 44% and accounted for 74% of the $1.3B sales for WotC in 2021. The division at Hasbro is 'Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming', so the remained came from the Digital Gaming side of things.

wotc.jpg

Scribe

Legend
Where in the article does it state this? Sorry, but I don't see it.

Also, is the "it" referring to WotC or MtG?
Both.

I would be stunned if MTG isnt the lions share of Wizards profits, which are apparently, the lions share of Hasbro's profits.

Printing art on cardboard then sold by truck loads, is profitable...who knew?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
This is the story that folks like to tell, but White Wolf and the World of Darkness had been in decline for a bit by that point. The reboot of their setting was a response to their decline as much as (or more than) the cause of it.
Really depends on the place you are. In my country it used to be way easier to find a WoD game than a D&D game. Even up to the start of the pandemic.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Some lawyers, last I knew, still used fax machines and WordPerfect.
You don't want to know how many insurance companies still do. Most medical record software can do a release of information in PDF form (and, jeebus, as long as inpatient admission records get with frequent vitals, notes, and access logs, you NEED it in non-paper form) yet insurance companies STILL routinely have medical records faxed to them.

Where in the article does it state this? Sorry, but I don't see it.

Also, is the "it" referring to WotC or MtG?
checking here: link
it does appear that for the 2021 fiscal year, The "WoTC and Digital Gaming" segment made operating profits of 547M as compared to total company profit of 763M, which is about 72%.

But, there's no breakdown of MTG versus other WoTC product lines, nor is there a breakout of WoTC versus whatever else is lumped into "Digital Gaming". I imagine it's reasonable to conclude that MTG is a profitable line, but certainly not all 72% on its own.

dave2008

Legend
I normally don't talk about money (it's like politics and not really D&D related) but this gives me a chance...

summons high horse

"If a company can make a billion dollars and a good portion of that is from a small team, that small team better make a LOT of money."
"If wotC has 100 creative employees (I doubt it) and 50 support employees (janitor payroll hr goblin interns) and each of those 100 creatives got paid 1 million dollar, and half of thos support were paid 3/4 of a million with the other half being low paid 1/2 million that would be 100 mil + 18.75 mil + 12.5 mil that would make the payroll cost $132,000,000 o 13.2% of that... lets say that overhead is expensive (it is) and cost tripple that outrageous payroll cost $396,000,000... that is stil 528,000,000 or just ove HALF A BILLION..."

"Anyone want to bet no creative at wotc make $500,0000 a year (half of the above) or even $250,0000 (1/4)... what do you think the odds are they make $100,000 a year(10% of the above)? I wonder if they make the $73,000 a year magic number for happiness."

so yeah... everyone at WotC BETTER get a BIG bonus if not a HUGE raise out of this...
FYI, WotC has over 1,000 employees.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads