• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC may have sent the Pinkertons to a magic leakers home. Update: WotC confirms it and has a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ruin Explorer you need to find this reviewer and tell him
LOL are you feeling okay?

Anyone who thinks the Pinkertons have a "great legacy" probably also thinks the KKK were "just trying to calm things down". You think that supports your case? It does not mate. It in fact proves they employ people who are out-of-their-mind delusional. The "90% of agents are ex-cops!" is also not exactly selling anyone on "They're the good guys!".

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

Anyone who thinks the Pinkertons have a "great legacy" probably also thinks the KKK were "just trying to calm things down". You think that supports your case? It does not mate. It in fact proves they employ people who are out-of-their-mind delusional.
People who work in law enforcement often have a very different perspective than the rest of us on some things.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™

Anyone who thinks the Pinkertons have a "great legacy" probably also thinks the KKK were "just trying to calm things down". You think that supports your case? It does not mate. It in fact proves they employ people who are out-of-their-mind delusional. The "90% of agents are ex-cops!" is also not exactly selling anyone on "They're the good guys!".
No you don't understand. You were just thoroughly destroyed and can never post again because some guy left a good glassdoor review.

Loop Reaction GIF

People who work in law enforcement often have a very different perspective than the rest of us on some things.
That didn't used to be the case, but it has become the case, and it's an extremely bad thing for society.

I can bring you tons of stuff on how that's a huge problem. The cops are meant to serve and protect, they're meant to be normal people. Not "warriors", not "sheepdogs", not "above" normal people. And their views should reflect that. If they don't - and I agree they don't - then you have a huge cultural problem, and probably a structural one, too.

Ryujin

Legend
Also, what harm would Hasbro have suffered had they not gotten these cards back?

What information was he sharing that wouldn't have been able to be shared on release day (or whenever the embargo date lifts)?

Near as I can tell the only real defining thing is that this way customers know what they are buying with their money before the set is released (and presumably non-refundable preorders have shipped).

And this is...bad?
Off the top of my head, I'd say counterfeiting was a possibility. They might lose out on the initial release surge in sales, if that happened.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I don't argue that hiring the Pinkertons was a great move, PR-wise.

But, to be frank, as a practical matter anyone experienced in the line of work is almost assured to have sketchy stuff in their background. Squeaky clean private investigators aren't a thing. Pinkertons have a reputation. Everyone else has done bad stuff of which we are ignorant.

And, oldschoolmtg suffered no particular harm in all this, did he?

So, the basic problem is that WotC failed to hire someone whose sketchy deeds were sufficiently hidden from us?

So this is, unfortunately, how I know there are people commenting without knowing anything about the topic (and/or commenting by engaging in ... puffery).

If you've actually dealt with these types of organizations before, then you know the following:

A. Pinkerton does a LOT of risk assessment and protection and corporate investigation - from LP to trade secrets to certain HR issues. There are other firms that do much more in terms of union work today.

B. Pinkerton is known for "coloring inside the lines," unlike other organizations. There are a number of reasons for this- first, because of the size and corporate ties (liability issues). Smaller firms tend to be more "fast and loose." Second, they have a fair number of ex-LEO and military on the books. But there's a reason that most people don't know about them outside of OMG RED DEAD! It's because they largely stay out of the news.

C. Companies and high-net individuals that are looking to ... get results without worrying about the process will go with certain boutique firms.

So yeah, you're exactly right.

Off the top of my head, I'd say counterfeiting was a possibility. They might lose out on the initial release surge in sales, if that happened.
That's obviously not practical. To produce and distribute counterfeits would take a significant period of time. I don't think anyone, not even WotC, is considering that to be the issue.

Yeah that's the key point imho.

Everything else is a bit of fun distraction. The reality is, this was a really stupid, ill-considered response to a very minor problem, that did far more harm than good, and will leave a permanent scar on the brand.

Based on discussions of how they operate back from 10+ years ago when I was fascinated by private security companies/mercenaries (this was triggered in part by finding out they still existed). I've tried to look into it and I can't find anything saying definitively either way. Fascinatingly I haven't been able to find a single image of even one Pinkerton agent in the field in the 21st century.
I did, in fact found several different ones

75c4288c1edbe5bf-l-189h1or9o5ncgc73
75c4288c1edbe5bf-l-1gi65n0g0i392800
hqdefault.jpg
14mag-Pinkertons-image4-superJumbo.jpg

even found an old promo video

No you don't understand. You were just thoroughly destroyed and can never post again because some guy left a good glassdoor review.

Loop Reaction GIF
Indeed isn't glassdoor eye roll and i pointed out that review because of the legacy comment which i found funny

Pinkerton is known for "coloring inside the lines," unlike other organizations. There are a number of reasons for this- first, because of the size and corporate ties (liability issues). Smaller firms tend to be more "fast and loose."
Love to see some sources for this claim. Seems like it's a pure anecdote on your part.
I did, in fact found several different ones
I found the same except the video and couldn't confirm any were Pinkerton field agents (the guys are the expo are obviously not lol) except that Google Images thought so, hence I didn't include those.

Ryujin

Legend
That's obviously not practical. To produce and distribute counterfeits would take a significant period of time. I don't think anyone, not even WotC, is considering that to be the issue.
You might be surprised at how quickly that sort of thing can be turned around, using digital reproduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads