WotC may have sent the Pinkertons to a magic leakers home. Update: WotC confirms it and has a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

You might be surprised at how quickly that sort of thing can be turned around, using digital reproduction.
I would be, yeah, I'd be very surprised if, by May 12th, you could produce a significant number of convincing counterfeits of these, and distribute them so well as to cut into WotC's sales.

And even if you did - you'd be going to jail, possibly even Federal jail. It's a ludicrous thing to be concerned about because a Youtuber got some cards.

cranberry

Adventurer
What gets included in PR statements and ads, corporate mission statements, 10k filings, etc is often quite different to how a company actually operates....

Kind of like the difference between theory and practice.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Love to see some sources for this claim.

I'm sorry- is there a reason you're still replying to me? Here's the thing- you can actually tell if someone knows what they are talking about, if you know the subject matter.

Source: "One time, at international law camp ...."

giphy.gif

Ryujin

Legend
I would be, yeah, I'd be very surprised if, by May 12th, you could produce a significant number of convincing counterfeits of these, and distribute them so well as to cut into WotC's sales.

And even if you did - you'd be going to jail, possibly even Federal jail. It's a ludicrous thing to be concerned about because a Youtuber got some cards.
A day to make hi-rez scans. Time to transmit them is trivial. Card stock and size is known. How much in counterfeit goods already comes out of the Far East, with virtually no repercussions?

EDIT

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
That didn't used to be the case, but it has become the case, and it's an extremely bad thing for society.
Well, yeah.

I can bring you tons of stuff on how that's a huge problem. The cops are meant to serve and protect, they're meant to be normal people. Not "warriors", not "sheepdogs", not "above" normal people. And their views should reflect that. If they don't - and I agree they don't - then you have a huge cultural problem, and probably a structural one, too.
I'm always happy to recommend Radley Balko, for example, including his book Rise of the Warrior Cop.

That being said, within a security, risk management, and law enforcement context, it seems like Pinkerton is a name whose associations are more positive than negative. First and oldest private security agency, worked for the Union against the Confederacy, first female agent (Kate Warne). They even had a (licensed) Western police procedural show about them a few years back. Which seems indicative that the name in the mass popular consciousness is not entirely synonymous with their heinous acts in the 19th century.

Of course, anti-union sentiment is common on the political right, and law enforcement folks tend to be right-leaning, at least.

(Trying to keep this from running afoul of board rules on politics, too).

Last edited:

I'm sorry- is there a reason you're still replying to me? Here's the thing- you can actually tell if someone knows what they are talking about, if you know the subject matter.

Source: "One time, at international law camp ...."

giphy.gif
So you're appealing to your own authority? Okay. My point is, no-one here but you is claiming to "know the subject matter" in any detail (all I've seen is a list from the '00s), and you're providing no sources. So you're just pushing anecdotes whilst claiming your own magisterial authority means no-one can ask you for any kind of support.

Also, I forget that movie, but isn't it implied the band camp story was true? I think at least one of the things she claimed was, but maybe not.

I found the same except the video and couldn't confirm any were Pinkerton field agents (the guys are the expo are obviously not lol) except that Google Images thought so, hence I didn't include those.
well, are you wanting plain clothes or the actual security guard types?
14mag-Pinkertons-image3-master675.jpg
Pinkerton agents setting up targets for rifle training

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The quote indicated that he would get "the product he intended to purchase," which sounded like a mistake on WotC's end: he ordered A but got B.

His original purchase was not from WotC.

But if he bought them from someone who shouldn't have sold them, then yeah, OK.

Oldschoolmtg has apparently given a couple slightly differing versions of the story. The one that puts him in the best light is that he went to the store of a guy he knows, looking to buy cards from the "March of the Machines" set, which was released a short while ago. His claim is that his friend gave him cards from "March of the Machines: the Aftermath" which hasn't been released yet, and should not have been sold to anyone, and that he didn't notice that he had the wrong product until later.

But, having the wrong product, he started opening them up and making youtube videos about what he had.

WotC sent folks to retrieve the errant cards, and offered to replace them with cards from the "March of the Machines" set he says he'd originally intended to purchase. Pretty much, "We can't let you keep these, but we'll give you something to replace them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads