WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is there something interesting in the plane of Ice, section with Salt hail in Planescape? Or are you just talking generally "planescape, that setting they are releasing later, might have interesting stuff in it"?
There was a book on the Inner Planes toward the end of Planescape's run, including the para- and quasi-elemental planes. Most of the material was admittedly focused on the four main elemental planes, but there are a few locations detailed for each, along with an overview on various inhabitant of note.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The players. The players should be able to know the planes of existence. Good luck getting them to remember them when there's around 3 dozen and some of them are as useless as "Salt" or "Steam".
Then use the ones you want, and discard the rest. Heck, the DMG has both the Great Wheel and the World Axis in it. Pick one, or make your own.

Reactions: JEB

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There was a book on the Inner Planes toward the end of Planescape's run, including the para- and quasi-elemental planes. Most of the material was admittedly focused on the four main elemental planes, but there are a few locations detailed for each, along with an overview on various inhabitant of note.
Exactly what I'm talking about. Got it right in front of me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And like an appendix, they aren't really that necessary.
Nothing in the game is really necessary. They do explain things like undead and radiant damage, though. They serve a very good purpose in being in the game, even if only as a minor mention. If you remove them and don't replace them with something to serve the same purpose, and the feywild and shadowfell don't do that, then the game has lost something that was beneficial to it.
Sure, the positive plane is where all positive energy comes from.... why do I need a plane for that? Fire doesn't all come from the plane of fire, I can generate it by smashing flint and steel. Positive energy is the energy of life... why not just say that life generates positive energy. Done. No plane needed.
Can you? The elemental planes are where the building blocks for the various settings came from. That fire(or the potential for it) your PC generated came originally from the plane of fire. The earth your PC walks on came from the plane of earth.

Page 52 of the DMG, "The Inner Planes surround and enfold the Material Plane and its echoes, providing the raw elemental substance from which all worlds were made."

What is negative energy? Just like cold is an noticeable absence of kinetic energy at a molecular level, negative energy is just a reduction in positive energy. It doesn't need to be created, it is just energy flow. Done. No plane needed.
There's magic and anti-magic. There's positive energy and anti(negative) energy.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The players. The players should be able to know the planes of existence. Good luck getting them to remember them when there's around 3 dozen and some of them are as useless as "Salt" or "Steam".
You just gave me an idea for a Dawn War setting where the remaining Titans and Gods, after the huge fights decimated the biggest names, were like the Titan of Steam or the Salted Empress, plotting against the other insignificant gods who stayed home during the war, like the god of beauty and dance or the goddess of wood-working :p

Like, lean on the fact that most gods in D&D settings act like egoistical dead-beat parents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads