• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I
Why can't 13 to 15 year olds enjoy horror?

Also, why are you adding language about being "warped" or "damaged"? I've never claimed anything like that.

Why do I need to keep explaining the difference between books and games? This is a really obvious difference that I have already covered.
I don't see the difference as being especially relevant.

Staffan

Legend
You can get it wrong a seventh time you like. It does not list the PLANES of the Great Wheel. It lists only the NAMES the Great Wheel uses for the planes that exist for all cosmologies.

The Great Wheel calls it Ysgard, The World Tree calls it Asgard, and The World Axis has a different name for it. The plane is the same for all three.
And that's a problem, the way I see it.

The main advantage of the World Axis is that it's an open cosmology. There's no end to the number of astral dominions there may be out there. They are probably not infinite in number, but there are definitely more than the Great Wheel's 17 outer planes – and there are many of the Great Wheel's planes that don't belong in the World Axis. The dominions need not have anything to do with alignment, but can either embody other concepts or just be plain weird. You need a world without shrimp? There's probably one out there.

The Great Wheel, on the other hand, is a closed cosmology. It doesn't allow for any outer planes other than the 17. Sure, you can have a demiplane in the Ethereal, or an alternate Prime, but not a fully-fledged plane. The Great Wheel is the result of box-checking, and when there are no more boxes to check there's no more room for expansion.

Incenjucar

Legend
The Great Wheel does not have a "And there are no other full-sized planes anywhere ever" rule. I get that it's heavily implied to be a complete thing, and it would certainly be a notable discovery, but if the scholars of Sigil started running around the city screaming "they found another, they found another!" it wouldn't be against any rules. The Great Wheel changes over time as it is.

Last edited:

And that's a problem, the way I see it.

The main advantage of the World Axis is that it's an open cosmology. There's no end to the number of astral dominions there may be out there. They are probably not infinite in number, but there are definitely more than the Great Wheel's 17 outer planes – and there are many of the Great Wheel's planes that don't belong in the World Axis. The dominions need not have anything to do with alignment, but can either embody other concepts or just be plain weird. You need a world without shrimp? There's probably one out there.

The Great Wheel, on the other hand, is a closed cosmology. It doesn't allow for any outer planes other than the 17. Sure, you can have a demiplane in the Ethereal, or an alternate Prime, but not a fully-fledged plane. The Great Wheel is the result of box-checking, and when there are no more boxes to check there's no more room for expansion.

Actually there are eight boxes unchecked. The great wheel has intermediate planes between the non-neutral alignments and their neighbors, but it doesn;t have any intermediates between the aligned planes and neutral. The spokes of the wheel are missing.

Also, WotC needs a Marshall Applewhite

When I was 13/14 I had already read Hiroshima with full colour photos age 10/11 at middle school.

1992 we had holocaust videos in History class and eastern front. Books in our high school Library included Battle of Berlin including what the red army got up to. I turned 14 in 92. Also did classics at school.
Back in ‘92, you say? I think that was the year we saw a documentary on the Holocaust in History class.

Of course, in 2022 (30 years later), they probably wouldn’t have shown the video in class without a trigger warning and maybe would have requested the parents’ to sign a permission slip (for 10-year olds at least).

This is a good thing.

Where is that bolded piece from? I've never seen it before.
Wikipedia. Sorry, I thought I had linked it before.
Can't say I've ever read anything to support his mother making a choice to die, though I can't remember if she died from grief or other labor complications. I guess if it was grief, labeling it as a choice is certainly one way to interpret it. That Wikipedia link also references a retcon story that was published later that apparently tells the story of his mother actually being in love with the human and her elven husband fought him to "rescue" her, but they both died of their wounds and she chose to return to Qualinost and lie about what happened. Between that and the later Lord Soth story where they took his misdeeds to ridiculous lengths in case he was too likeable as described in the original stories, it's pretty easy for me to remember it wasn't just me growing older that caused me to stop reading Dragonlance novels. lol

Zardnaar

Legend
Back in ‘92, you say? I think that was the year we saw a documentary on the Holocaust in History class.

Of course, in 2022 (30 years later), they probably wouldn’t have shown the video in class without a trigger warning and maybe would have requested the parents’ to sign a permission slip (for 10-year olds at least).

This is a good thing.

In 1992 we didn't have to watch all good f the Holocaust video as it involved camp footage. We were allowed to go do something else in the classroom.

Didn't watch video of it age 10 I would have been 13/14 for that.

Age 10 was more WW2 planes like spitfires etc but the Hiroshima book was at the library at school along with fictional books like Brother in the Land (post nuclear war survivors).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads