WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The below link suggests 750 miles of travel:

I got 1000 from just eyeballing the scale, 750 is probably more accurate.

I found an interesting comparison of the scale changes between editions on Reddit:

"2nd edition - Neverwinter is 146 miles north, and 298 miles west of Waterdeep.

3rd edition - Neverwinter is 80 miles north, and 94 miles west of Waterdeep.

4th edition - Neverwinter is 149 miles north, and 184 miles west of Waterdeep.

5th edition - Neverwinter is 151 miles north, and 304 miles west of Waterdeep"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Regardless, 1000 miles, 750 miles, or 5 miles. The distance is not relevant to whether or not we get a Forgotten Realms campaign setting. What we got in the Sword Coast is a sliver of the Realms no matter what size you give it, and one that has very little in the way of lore for an area that size. We got no Realms setting and we got no detailed area of any sort.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Regardless, 1000 miles, 750 miles, or 5 miles. The distance is not relevant to whether or not we get a Forgotten Realms campaign setting. What we got in the Sword Coast is a sliver of the Realms no matter what size you give it, and one that has very little in the way of lore for an area that size. We got no Realms setting and we got no detailed area of any sort.
The Realms are so ridiculously huge that trying to detail the entire setting in a single book is a foolish endeavor. The SCAG could have been better, yes, but WotC has given more in-depth explanation of various parts of the Realms through the many adventure paths that take place there.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The Realms are so ridiculously huge that trying to detail the entire setting in a single book is a foolish endeavor.
It has been done before. And done well. 3e is a good model for it.
The SCAG could have been better, yes, but WotC has given more in-depth explanation of various parts of the Realms through the many adventure paths that take place there.
I couldn't give a fig what is in an adventure path that I will never purchase because I don't run premade adventure paths. Those are not the setting and never will be, regardless of how much they include. Only a dedicated setting book/product will be the setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
IIRC, the Sword Coast area in SCAG is larger than Khorvaire.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
IIRC, the Sword Coast area in SCAG is larger than Khorvaire.
Not relevant. No matter how you try to turn it, the Sword Coast can never be and will never be The Forgotten Realms, so will never, ever be The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It has been done before. And done well. 3e is a good model for it.

I couldn't give a fig what is in an adventure path that I will never purchase because I don't run premade adventure paths. Those are not the setting and never will be, regardless of how much they include. Only a dedicated setting book/product will be the setting.
That trian has already left the station: Setting and Adventure books are pretty solidly merged now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads