WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Honest questions...

How much do they need and how hard is it to convert over?
I've done some conversions of races and monsters, but I hate doing them.

Is there anything on the DM's guild?
I haven't been impressed with some of the relevant DMsGuild products that I've seen, it's definitely hit and miss.

Because from what I remember it's mostly just about organizations, factions, who's who. Specific subclasses might be nice, they just don't seem necessary.
It depends on the setting. For Greyhawk, I don't need anything (though some conversions of some monsters would be nice), DarkSun is a tougher nut to crack (from psionics, monsters, races, subclasses, etc.), for OA I want the least problematic parts—some of the races, some spells, and some monsters (the rest can take a flying leap), etc.

Pretty much most of what I want could fit into a TCofE and MotM format.

Reactions: JEB

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No it didn't. It provided sparse coverage.

It's a "real" setting book in the same way as the Cliff's Notes on Moby Dick is the "real" Moby Dick.

Oh, well keeping something in print is a clear sign of quality! No bad books out there have been around for a long time. :p
It means it still sells: which is the only quality that WotC does or should care about.

Scribe

Legend
No, sorry, I might have misspoken. I was asking if:
  1. You can buy the individual mechanics of the 5e setting book on their own that you want on a site like D&D Beyond.
  2. WotC doesn't ever revise or delete the content you own with errata (maybe by allowing you to choose which publication of the book you want to use)
Would you still want the rest of the setting book to be basically copied-pasted from the older setting books? Or would you be okay with WotC doing a "modern update" or lore revisions on the setting in the rest of the book?

Yeah, I got that already. I'm just trying to see how far these strange buying preferences go.

lol, its the principle. Dont tease me with a UA that has something that makes sense for the setting, only to remove it in the final copy.

Anyway.

1. OK, but that still doesnt cover me for actually having a book I enjoy holding, reading, looking over, thinking about. Its essentially an SRD.
2. Probably not good enough, because again its sterile. Its 'tech manual' it just isnt a complete product.

Now, if you provide those updates, and the rest is all just a polish on the old lore, and doesnt change things? Yeah, I'd be ok with that.

Like this Dragonlance book. If it had SIMPLY included the logical, setting appropriate restrictions on the feats, LITERALLY thats it, I would have slammed down my wallet and said "I want the limited edition, best copy you have" because everything else looks like they slotted it into 5e with no issue!

Upon such hills, we must take our stand against the removal of things we like, because the ONLY thing Wizards hears, is $$$.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
See, I personally think that a good adventure is perhaps the best way to introduce a setting (or part of a setting) to the DM and players. So I really don't have anything against books like Tomb of Annihilation and The Wild Beyond the Witchlight. Gazetteers aren't much use unless there's an adventure for them, IMO.
They don't introduce anywhere near enough. I'm going to bet that it gives some sparse broad overview of the region and only details the few locations it uses.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Pools of Radiance was pretty popular.
Not the one that came out when I was a teenager: that was an embarrassing stinker. I will qualify that I meant since the end of the Gold Box era (which I guess ended when I was 8?). For anyone under 40 (I'm still under 40, I have a few years!), the FR in video games is the Sword Coast. Heck, the only really big D&S video games of any sort since Planescape Torment have been Sword Coast affairs.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It means it still sells: which is the only quality that WotC does or should care about.
So did the 3e setting books up until they stopped 3e. The longevity of 5e doesn't apply here, since the 3e copies didn't stop selling prior to 3e ending. There's no way you can say that they would not also be selling after this same amount of time(or longer) had 3e continued on.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So did the 3e setting books up until they stopped 3e. The longevity of 5e doesn't apply here, since the 3e copies didn't stop selling prior to 3e ending. There's no way you can say that they would not also be selling after this same amount of time(or longer) had 3e continued on.
I'm not really putting them directly head to head (I use them together, myself!), I'm pointing out that, any legit criticism aside, SCAG continues to sell and be used. It is a "real" Setting book, even if it is not the one that you would prefer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not really putting them directly head to head (I use them together, myself!), I'm pointing out that, any legit criticism aside, SCAG continues to sell and be used. It is a "real" Setting book, even if it is not the one that you would prefer.
Sure. If all you can get is a glass of water while you are dying of thirst in the desert, you're going to buy the glass of water. That doesn't mean you wouldn't rather have a full canteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases