WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
So, you want the game to go bankrupt and then to be bought out again.
They could get bought by an heir to the Smith Literary Trust [1] and start pushing Gray Lensman products on the market. I would honestly very much like for that to happen.

[1] an organization that I have no reason to think actually exists

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
They could get bought by an heir to the Smith Literary Trust [1] and start pushing Gray Lensman products on the market. I would honestly very much like for that to happen.

[1] an organization that I have no reason to think actually exists
Quoted for E E Doc Smith, Lensman reference.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Thing is, the reserve list probably saved the game at the time, and didnt harm it after. The only format the game is played competitively at all (by anyone not a high roller) is Legacy.

The damage has all be done in recent (5 years?) history.
The damage has been visible in the recent years, but it has been brewing over time. Again, not questioning the need for something like the RL, but the RL itself wasn't the best of options. Just a 10-15 moratorium on reprints would have done the trick without hurting the playability too much. That is more or less the time it took for type 1 to get unreachable and forced modern to be a thing, and ten years after that, we have now pioneer because modern itself has gotten unreachable. Just five years would have done the trick.

Clint_L

Hero
WotC's leadership "failed" their way to 5e exponentially enlarging D&D's player base and cultural footprint. But those levels of growth were always unsustainable, so now they are trying to engineer a soft landing, unlike the crashes that have plagued D&D in the past.

Previously, this is when TSR/WotC would have announced a whole new edition to try to get the hardcore base to replace all their books and thus infuse some fast cash into sales. But they are trying something new, now, which is to engineer a shift to a D&D culture that is perennial, where they can put out, say, a new PHB without it signalling that everyone needs to replace all their stuff...or maybe quit the game (or just stick with the old version, which from a WotC perspective is more or less like quitting the game).

All of which is to say that I think it's a little early to argue that WotC's leadership has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads