WotC WotC needs an Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
That’s a fairly common misconception, but it’s actually not true. Kobold Press produces a number of non-Midgard products aimed at ALL D&D players each year.

Products like Deep Magic, Tome of Heroes, Vault of Magic, all of the Tome of Beasts books, etc are ALL ‘generic’ 5E D&D releases that are not related to Midgard at all.
they are related to midgard and its other places but they are fairly universalisable.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
DnD is a game you should be comfortable handing to a 13 to 15 year old. Are you comfortable having cartoons aimed at pre-teens discussing sexual assault in them? Rape? Even as a background element?

AGAIN, the root of this discussion was pointing out that an official setting, which focused on sexual assault, was taken out/altered. No one is saying you can't include it in your home game if you really really must. We are questioning why you feel like you really really must include sexual assault, but that's mostly because you and others keep insisting and trying to argue for its inclusion.
Well for one thing, I don't really think a horror game like Ravenloft should be marketed to 13 to 15 year olds. That being said, that was the age I was when I was first introduced to the Ravenloft setting, which as we've said included an NPC who perpetrated this sort of crime, and I don't recall being warped or damaged by its presence.

I was even younger when I first read Dragonlance, with the aforementioned Tanis background. Again, I don't recall being damaged by a main character being the product of rape.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
When I was 13/14 I had already read Hiroshima with full colour photos age 10/11 at middle school.

1992 we had holocaust videos in History class and eastern front. Books in our high school Library included Battle of Berlin including what the red army got up to. I turned 14 in 92. Also did classics at school.

Year before I started D&D.

I'm not saying it belongs in game but more what I was getting taught at school. 1991 aged 12 we covered apartheid in social studies.

1993 I was reading Wilber Smith aged 14/15.

So yeah 13 year olds are probably a bit more resilient than you think.
The school I work for has us teaching about the history of slavery and the treatment of Native Americans at the primary level (7-10 years old). It's not graphic, but the education system is not shying away from difficult topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads