WotC offers YouTuber interview with Kyle Brink

Haplo781

Legend

Never heard of this Bob World Builder guy before but apparently WotC emailed him and is offering him an interview with Kyle Brink. He's soliciting questions from the community to ask during the interview.

My personal crusade at the moment is getting every past edition of the game under that CC license (especially 4e as it's both the most unique version and under an onerous GSL). If anyone can lend support to that cause I'd appreciate it massively. And of course, if you have any cause of your own, or just a question you'd like answered, this is your chance!

Scribe

Legend
lol?

If legit.

1. Put 3.5 SRD as is, in the CC.
2. Release a legally binding (lol!) statement that the 1.0 OGL will never be revoked, deauthorized, or in any capacity be rendered void.
3. Where, is my pony?

Ondath

Hero
I think this is a good move by Wizards, but I have to say, I really dislike Bob's attitude throughout the video. Maybe he's really, genuinely angry about the whole situation and can't let go of it, but the amount of outrage he kept on and the kind of bad faith with which he interpreted the recent moves by WotC seemed excessive to me. At this point, I'm rather wary of Youtubers maintaining outrage clickbait when the main battle in OGL is won.

This isn't to say we shouldn't push for more stuff under CC, or legally binding WotC from trying to deauthorise OGL v1.0a (by making a non-deauthorisable OGL v1.0b, for instance), or ideally both. But if you're going to sit at the table with an attitude like this, I'm really not sure WotC will listen.

Haplo781

Legend
I think this is a good move by Wizards, but I have to say, I really dislike Bob's attitude throughout the video. Maybe he's really, genuinely angry about the whole situation and can't let go of it, but the amount of outrage he kept on and the kind of bad faith with which he interpreted the recent moves by WotC seemed excessive to me. At this point, I'm rather wary of Youtubers maintaining outrage clickbait when the main battle in OGL is won.

This isn't to say we shouldn't push for more stuff under CC, or legally binding WotC from trying to deauthorise OGL v1.0a (by making a non-deauthorisable OGL v1.0b, for instance), or ideally both. But if you're going to sit at the table with an attitude like this, I'm really not sure WotC will listen.
I hope they listen to questions from the community, regardless of the messenger's attitude.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Never heard of this Bob World Builder guy before but apparently WotC emailed him and is offering him an interview with Kyle Brink.

I was familiar with his channel from before the fiasco. "Anodyne" is the adjective that immediately leaps to mind — his vibe is like if Bob Ross were a D&D guru.

Makes sense to go with Bob from WotC's perspective.

Arilyn

Hero

Bob is almost always real chill and positive. His anger isn't for click bait. He was genuinely hurt and flabbergasted by WotC's decisions, and has a little lingering suspicion. Understandable.

Remove ads