• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
So dilution of quality, for dubious results, but at least someone is making a buck?
"Dilution of quality" is a pretty gorram loaded phrase, wouldn't you say? To say nothing of the intensely cynical remainder!

More importantly: Averaged over time, you get far less than 1 good-to-great movie (or whatever) for a given IP every five years, so let's run with that. One good-to-great movie every five years.

Now, we compare that to having five times as many movies (that is, on average, one a year), of which two are good-to-great, one is okay, and two are bad-to-terrible. "Dilution of quality!" one might say; we have gone from having 100% good movies (again, absolute and total exaggeration) to only 40% good movies. But if viewed from the perspective of "the rate at which good movies come out," this has doubled the output of good works.

"Dilution" implies that there will always ever be an absolute, fixed rate at which new content is made, so by allowing "unofficial" products, you necessarily get something worse out the end: instead of one film (etc.) every five years that is always good (which, as we both know, is completely not true to begin with), "dilution" alleges that we'd get one film (etc.) every five years that might be good or might be absolutely godawful, hence, things are objectively worse. But allowing more people to tweak, critique, retell, and reimagine stories does not do that.

Dad of Boy and Dad of Boy II: Fragglerock have proven that you can do really interesting things by fundamentally re-imagining an underlying mythos or concept into something really different from the original. We'd never get a story where Odin is the main villain, Heimdall is a corrosively sarcastic a-hole, and Thor is a beer-bellied bully that slowly realizes "are we the baddies??" if you had someone zealously protecting the Norse Pantheon IP™®© (all rights reserved.)

dave2008

Legend
Of course, the MCU is a separate continuity so I have no problem with that.
Wait! Isn't the RPG continuity separate from the novel continuity?! I mean, IMO, it has to be. I don't know enough of either of them to tell you which lore belongs to which continuity, but I gather there is a lot more lore in the novels than the RPG products.

Wait! Isn't the RPG continuity separate from the novel continuity?! I mean, IMO, it has to be. I don't know enough of either of them to tell you which lore belongs to which continuity, but I gather there is a lot more lore in the novels than the RPG products.
that is how I prefer it and how Eberon and 4e DS ran, but I believe TSR had the meta plot from the 2 always linked, and even 5e FR somewhat does it...

The novels were so popular at the time it would have been foolish, just from the financial side, to have not put them together. And once that happened, it became pretty impossible to disentangle them...

Remove ads

Remove ads