Dragonlance WotC Officially Confirms Takhisis and Tiamat Are The Same

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today...

It's been an issue in dispute for decades, over various editions of D&D, but WotC has officially confirmed that - at least in 5E - Dragonlance's Takhisis is, indeed, currently Tiamat. In previous editions, Tiamat has varied from being a big dragon to a minor goddess, while Takhisis has been a greater god on Krynn. At times they've been the same entity, and at others different entities. Today, WotC is putting its foot down and saying that Takhisis and Tiamat are, indeed, the same being.

Of course, this is not an opinion universally held. Dragonlance co-creator Margaret Weis emphatically stated that "TAKHISIS IS NOT TIAMAT, DAMN IT!"

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 12.19.14 AM.png

Fizban's Treasuryof Dragons confirms that the beings echo across various settings.

Mirtek

Hero
The way I justify both WotC and MW being right at the same time is you can say "Many mortals believe that Takhisis and Tiamat are one and the same. Scholars on Sigil have produced compelling evidence pointing to the fact. However, Takhisis herself denies it. Whether this is factual or Takhisis just being Takhisis is up for debate".
Just send her a fat check adressed to Tiamat and if she tries to cash it in we'll have her :)

Mirtek

Hero
So in WotC lore, what happened to Bahamut and Tiamat in say Faerun when Raistlin killed them on Krynn?

When the Time of Troubles happened in Faerun did Paladine and Takhisis lose power to? Only if they were on Faerun? Why not planeshift over to Krynn and get your power back?

I know it doesnt matter because the only lore that matters is the 5 pages in the mostly adventure book.
No multispheric deity lost her power during the ToT. They were still chilling safe and sound in their outer planar homes, but if they wanted to continue to act on Toril they each had to manifest a single avatar of limited power and if that avatar was slain, the deity would be banned from Toril (but still otherwise fully intact).

Takhisis and Tiamat the same!

I haven't been so shocked since Darth Sidious and Palpatine turned out to be the same person.
Wait! What?!?

Next you're telling me that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Even a cheap mass market movie is tens of millions of dollars.
And yet there's an seemingly endless stream of cheap direct-to-video/TV B-movies. Who talks about cinematic release mass market? We can have plenty of with out B-movies ;)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
No multispheric deity lost her power during the ToT. They were still chilling safe and sound in their outer planar homes, but if they wanted to continue to act on Toril they each had to manifest a single avatar of limited power and if that avatar was slain, the deity would be banned from Toril (but still otherwise fully intact).

Wait! What?!?

Next you're telling me that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

And yet there's an seemingly endless stream of cheap direct-to-video/TV B-movies. Who talks about cinematic release mass market? We can have plenty of with out B-movies ;)
You know that geeky reporter that hangs out with Lois Lane?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Clearly the Bot doesn't understand the difference between Tiamat the Mesopotamian Primordial Chaos deity and Tiamat the Chromatic Dragon.

I wonder if it would think that Bahamut is not Palladine because Bahamut is an elephant-like behemoth from the folkore and eschatology of Abrahamic religions.

Remove ads

Remove ads