• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC partners with Start Playing to connect players and DMs and form tables.

Vaalingrade

Legend
This is textbook gatekeeping and toxic fandom, IMO. Play the game the way I feel it should be played, or you are engaging in "shenanigans" and ruining the game!
Or we could be honest about others' positions based on not wanting the big corp putting their nose into an independent company that's offering a valuable service that absolutely will end up worse for this and not try to appropriate real terms to create a boogyman.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
My group also runs at least one free game per month (basically because we don't want to be completely closed to players who legitimately can't afford it) and I can tell you that those games definitely skew younger (college age through 20s) which makes sense.

Players that come for the free games often end up becoming clients, but again that's more the ones with disposable income.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Why would WotC participate if there was no benefit to them? Like any business partnership, this benefits both parties. It's visibility and marketing for both companies and hopefully some directly increased revenue for StartPlaying with more folks checking out the service.
Because Start Playing paid them money?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Or we could be honest about others' positions based on not wanting the big corp putting their nose into an independent company that's offering a valuable service that absolutely will end up worse for this and not try to appropriate real terms to create a boogyman.
Is there any evidence WotC is doing anything nefarious here?

Bull, they did a cross promotion, this won’t hurt them

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads