• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC partners with Start Playing to connect players and DMs and form tables.

Dire Bare

Legend
Why go through the trouble of building your own service when you can simply get small fees for each transaction from StartPlaying? Or even better, just purchase StartPlaying.
Purchasing an existing app is always an option. Sure. WotC purchased D&D Beyond from Curse, after all.

But without having their own app or purchasing an existing one, there isn't really a way for WotC to take a cut of what is going on at StartPlaying (or similar services). They can't dictate that everybody playing D&D 5E pony up a slice to WotC . . .

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Yes, clearly there is demand for it, and it seems that $20 is the price the market will bear.

I still wonder what percentage of players are willing to pay for a game, and for how long, how competition impacts demand (e.g AL) and if the model is sustainable in the long run.

Re: percentage of players, I have no clue

Re: Adventurer's League...I feel like it might be more relevant in some parts of the country than others, but I can tell you that the vast, vast majority of my clients (both online and in-person) have never heard of it and have no idea what it is, and any specific attempts my company has made to push AL content have not caused interest in a game to increase or decrease at all. We've basically stopped bothering with it.

Re; sustainability. I can tell you anecdotally that I ran my first pro game in 2017 but didn't really start doing it regularly until 2020. I currently run multiple ongoing pro games myself and manage a "stable" of 6 other DMs, acting like an agent matching them up with clients, because there is far more demand than I could take on myself - and that's been the case steadily since 2020. Note however that DMing is not my full time job, mainly because I happen to like my actual job and also it's hard for me to imagine being able to swing medical coverage, benefits, retirement, etc on a pro DM freelance income.

darjr

I crit!
I am tired of tons of misinformation going around so I want to correct things as fast as possible
Me too. Please note I do correct things.

In this case I can't find the reference. I'll update the OP. But also note that in the OP my comment about it was a question about it, not some statement of fact.

Dire Bare

Legend
I can't tell, but I hope this is a joke.
Why exactly?

If you don't want to pay a pro-DM to run a game for you and your friends, that's cool. But what is some folks issue with folks who are very willing to do just that?

What exactly is wrong with StartPlaying's business model? What would be wrong with WotC trying something similar?

If you are concerned that with such a move, WotC would be putting D&D behind a paywall . . . well, this is the kind of conspiracy-thinking @MonsterEnvy is getting tired of.

Chill out dude, it's all going to be okay.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Chill out dude
christian bale no GIF

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I think, in all seriousness, it's easier for 10 year old to DM than it is for adults.

Most adults are discouraged from retaining/cultivating the tools to "play" in the way that is second nature to a ten-year-old. if you started at 10 and just kept going, it's way easier than starting at 30 or 40 for most adults.
That's isn't when most people are starting playing. Over half of all D&D players are GenZ or young millenials.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
That's isn't when most people are starting playing. Over half of all D&D players are GenZ or young millenials.

That's not who the PAYING players are, though. It's Millennials and older.

And they're three groups (mostly):

- totally new players ages 30 and up with disposable income

- hardcore forever DMs who want a chance to be players, and want a game that will happen on time, as scheduled, with everyone showing up and engaged to participate

- Little kids whose parents are paying for them to play as an entertainment/learning activity

I have lots of players in their 20s, but almost ONLY in free games.

Last edited:

Remove ads