WotC To Give Core D&D Mechanics To Community Via Creative Commons

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license. This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'. So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

Wizards of the Coast, in a move which surprised everbody, has announced that it will give away the core D&D mechanics to the community via a Creative Commons license.

This won't include 'quintessentially D&D" stuff like owlbears and magic missile, but it wil include the 'core D&D mechanics'.

So what does it include? It's important to note that it's only a fraction of what's currently available as Open Gaming Content under the existing Open Gaming License, so while it's termed as a 'give-away' it's actually a reduction. It doesn't include classes, spells, or magic items. It does include the combat rules, ability scores, and the core mechanic.

Yaarel

He Mage
Yes, such D&D specific things like Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Fighter, Druid, Cleric, Paladin, Goblin, Orc, Dragon, Troll, ... need I go on ?
As a rule of thumb, if a term exists in a dictionary of the English language, it is laughable for Hasbro-WotC to claim to "own" it.

mamba

Legend
Here's wotc telling us how we can and can't use something that is completely outside their control.
it's not outside their control, it is their license after all ;)

Either you agree to the terms, or you cannot use OGL licensed content for your VTT and need a separate license from WotC (which you probably need anyway for all the stuff not covered under the OGL, but that is a separate issue)

I do not like this restriction, esp. in how limited it is. So in my feedback I will ask that in the OGL text (so it cannot be changed later), WotC agrees that the limitations imposed upon VTTs in their VTT policy are also applicable to their own VTT. Levels the playing field quite nicely :D

mamba

Legend
Regardless of whether this announcement is good or bad (your opinion may vary) the deauthorization of OGL 1.0 is still B.S. and WotC has already shown they don't operate in good faith. At this point, even if they walked everything back it would be too late for me.
if they kept 1.0a as is, would you then stay? Because I do not see how you can do that either then...

mamba

Legend
What they have defined as "Core Rules" is extremely limited and not exactly suitable to make a fully-functional game, as others have pointed out.
it is entirely suitable to make a complete functional game. It is not a complete functional game and is not suitable to make a D&D clone, but that is what the OGL is for

Remove ads

Remove ads