WotC Wants You To Help Shape D&D

Wow - that took quite a bit of time!

Wow - that took quite a bit of time!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Am I the only one in here to interpret that large survey as first visible sign of 5.5 or 6E approaching?
Maybe not a 5.5, but I think we're slowly gearing up for another mechanical expansion in the 2020-2021 timeframe. Like, "Elminster's Guide to Really Wacky S**t I've Seen" or something.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Am I the only one in here to interpret that large survey as first visible sign of 5.5 or 6E approaching?

The execs took one look at the success (?) of Paizo just selling a playtest and said, "yup, it's time for a new edition."

At least now they can come full circle, back to their demonic roots, and call it version 6.66.

Just curious, were there any survey questions about pricing? Like, "on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to pay $70.00 for a hardcover D&D book? $30.00 for a .pdf?"

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
That felt much more like "what should we make next" rather then "lets start over" that would be needed for a new edition. (And of course the PHB is selling about as well as it has, ever, but we have another thread for that).

They where fishing though and I do think they are trying to figure out how to build in the success of the core books.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
That felt much more like "what should we make next" rather then "lets start over" that would be needed for a new edition. (And of course the PHB is selling about as well as it has, ever, but we have another thread for that).

They where fishing though and I do think they are trying to figure out how to build in the success of the core books.

Indeed not just more D&D books, but they want to know what our current favorite board games are. Probably wanting to rip them off and through out a D&D branded version of them.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Indeed not just more D&D books, but they want to know what our current favorite board games are. Probably wanting to rip them off and through out a D&D branded version of them.

Right, while we (I think) mostly consider D&D to be a TTRPG compromising mostly books and dice, WotC (at the urging of Hasbro most likely) really considers D&D to be a brand, an offshoot of which is the TTRPG. Hence all the excitement about lifestyle accessories and new ways to engage with the brand in the survey. I mostly downplayed those in my responses and up-played the social aspects of the game.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

It's probably more about wanting to figure out how to reach more people. Find out what other things the current players like and then reach out to people who like the same things.

Right, while we (I think) mostly consider D&D to be a TTRPG compromising mostly books and dice, WotC (at the urging of Hasbro most likely) really considers D&D to be a brand, an offshoot of which is the TTRPG. Hence all the excitement about lifestyle accessories and new ways to engage with the brand in the survey. I mostly downplayed those in my responses and up-played the social aspects of the game.

I think it is more that the public in general doesn't think of it as just a TTRPG.

I remember watching a video of a guy playing one of the D&D arcade games - which he was really into - and he said he considered the games to be the true D&D and dismissed the tabletop game as some weird thing that came before.

There are a good amount of people out there who identify more with D&D video games than the tabletop game. The questions probably serve 2 purposes - Get some numbers on that; and to filter the responses to the rest of the questions.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just curious, were there any survey questions about pricing? Like, "on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to pay $70.00 for a hardcover D&D book? $30.00 for a .pdf?"
I don't recall any, though there was a question or two on how much you had spent on the game in the past x amount of time.

Further, I don't recall "price" being listed as a possible objection or consideration when asked what would encourage or prevent me from buying [whatever product].

Remove ads

Remove ads