• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

WotC will do what you say for 5 years. What are your instructions?

OB1

Explorer
This is too much fun. Here we go.

Spring - Intro to Spelljamming via a Gith themed adventure
Summer - Sigil based AP Tier II through Tier III
Fall - Guide to the Outer Planes (with Psionic Class)

Spring - TotYP style Adventures set in 4 different classic campaign settings each with an abbreviated setting guide
Summer - Dark Sun AP Tier II through Tier III (builds off Spring release)
Fall - Guide to Dark Sun

Spring - Genie Based AP and tour of the Elemental Planes Tier II to Tier III
Summer - Feywild AP
Fall - Guide to the Inner Planes

Spring - Part 1 of 2 AP Tier I through Tier II (Starts in Material Plane goes to Shadowfell)
Summer - Part 2 of 2 Book AP Tier III through Tier IV (Goes full multiverse at Risk)
Fall - Complete Players Handbook (all published races, classes, subclasses, spells in one book); Complete DM's Handbook (all published magic items, all non MM published monsters)

Spring - Journey to the Far Realm AP Tier III through Tier IV
Summer - Journey to the Modern World AP Tier I through Tier II
Fall - Guide to the Far Realm and Modern Worlds

ajanders

Explorer
I'm going to break the rules straight off.

Step 1: Diversify, but don't cannibalize D&D. The best way to do this is a rerelease of the old FASERIP Marvel Superheroes System. Go digital if you're feeling risk-averse but it would work in print as well. This isn't even game design just IP negotiation.
Step 2 : More diversification! Let's build a 5.0 style version of d20 modern. Keep it mechanically compatible with D&D 5.0. You can now do urban fantasy like the Dresden files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and modern espionage and military like GI Joe or Top Secret.
Step 3: Support the newer settings. I'd like to see an adventure path for Eberron. It probably doesn't support 20 levels of play...maybe 10 levels of fun? Similarly, how about an anthology of horror adventures for Ravenloft? These two are probably digital only.

Step 4: integration. Wotc has many years of lore from Magic: at a bare minimum, let's do a monster manual based on the top monsters from Magic.

weldon

Explorer
I love the old stuff that came out when I was getting started as a kid, but I think going backwards to resurrect Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, etc. is a distraction. So to settle the issue, I would announce free 100 page PDF settings overviews / recaps with conversion guides to go with all the PDFs of old adventures on DMs Guild. All the old settings are available to use on DMs Guild so the community can release new content. The Adept program is expanded to included some leadership for each of these old settings so that a community can form around them to promote the best stuff on DMs Guild. I make a clear announcement that there are no plans to release any official content for old settings in the future. Rip that bandaid off and move on.

Now on to new things…

I'd announce a new contest, but with a twist on what happened with Eberron. Instead of a full setting, submit a party with your best, most interesting, engaging and entertaining 5 characters of brand new 0th/1st level adventurers maybe with a brand-new class/sub-class to introduce some new mechanics at the same time. Backstories, personality, etc. Huge blown out contest with celebrity judges to pick the best ensemble. Winner gets a check, a contract to consult with the WoTC team for a year, and signs over all the rights. Not a story, just story hooks. No full-blown setting, just a starting location with one big hook that points towards where the party, and the world, is headed.

The in-house team goes to work on building a setting/world starting from this initial location, and a new story around the big hook. There is a slow reveal over a couple years that engages the community through new books, adventures, and con events. The setting becomes the foundation for movies.

This is also the moment to finally break away from racial mechanics entirely and let culture just be part of the story. Mechanics can come from individual choices about background and training.

doctorbadwolf

Adventurer
I’d never use a version of dnd with no racial mechanics at all. A firbolg Rogue and a goblin rogue are more different than two halfling rogues. That should be represented, or the races shouldn’t conceptually be as different as they are.

On a different note, I’d also push for an art book or art books for the major dnd settings.

And a dnd cartoon set in Eberron. Try to get Noelle Stevenson, Keith Baker, and Pendleton Ward involved. Try to hire Neil Gaiman for a season focused on Thelanis and other planes and their manifest zones.

doctorbadwolf

Adventurer
What data set? I’d love to see the methodology and data for that
You know as well as I do that corporations rarely release that kind of information. Why, do you really suspect an major error or dishonesty?

Their playtest survey results (which had enormous turnout), combined with past edition sales figures, and current feedback via social media and every other tool at their disposal, shows them that homebrew was bigger than all the published settings combined, IIRC.

That’s way past the margin of error. And we can reasonably conclude their methodology can’t be too wack, or they wouldn’t be running the market as well as they’d have been based on that data.

Horwath

Explorer
1. Make a decent spell system that works on mana points not spell level slots.

2. get rid of d20 and go with 3d6.

3. Reduce 6 abilities to 4 abilities.

4. Add online access to all materials. Every book would have a unique "book-key" that could be added to your sub and then you would get those materials available for your online account.

5. Work on designs for 3D printers that would be free or some dirt cheap price per design of minis.

6. Make few scionic classes part of the core PHB.

7. Split ASIs, combat feats, noncombat feats into separate resource pool.

TheSword

Explorer
Each year I would make them release a campaign/source book where they give us some world building but frame it in useful practical adventure locations, NPCs and plots. My initial instructions would be...

• Forgotten Realms
  • Ravenloft
  • Underdark
  • Something city based maybe linking in a mega dungeon
  • A jungle/lost world theme
  • Eberron

Oh wait a minute 🙈

TheSword

Explorer
In all seriousness, I would say more of the same. I’d ask them to produce.

• Darksun + offshoot psionics rules
  • Planescape + expand great wheel cosmology
  • Birthright + kingdom campaign guide

@Lanefan ah yes. You bring up a good point.

I'd have them sell mtg and their false elder dragons.

Actually no. Obviously not. I'll be honest. Really not sure what I'd do with mtg. Its at least obvious to me that in 5 to 10 years that might very likely be a nearly 100% digital game though. I personally enjoy playing it (the physical cards versions. Legacy through modern) but i dont have a good idea of what it needs. You want the job lol?

Jer

Adventurer
@Son of the Serpent ; @Jer : - don't forget that WotC is about much more than just D&D. You're in charge of the whole thing, so what do you do with M:tG and the company's other assorted properties and games?
I mean, I already said I wanted them to put all of their old boardgames into perpetual print on demand, so there's that. (All that SPI and Avalon Hill and whatnot - put it all back into print).

As far as MtG specifically goes my attitude towards it is pretty much the same as for 5e D&D - I don't really care so keep doing what they're doing with it. Make as much money off of it as they can to fund the rest of my nonsense demands.

Oh - and that made me realize I forgot one I wanted to specifically call out:

* Compile all of the Spellfire cards and stick them up on DriveThru for print on demand. You can put Blood Wars up there too while you're at it, but Spellfire is the one I want to see. I didn't appreciate it when it was originally out but that little nonsense game is actually pretty fun, and I think it would be worthwhile having it available again.

Parmandur

Legend
You know as well as I do that corporations rarely release that kind of information. Why, do you really suspect an major error or dishonesty?

Their playtest survey results (which had enormous turnout), combined with past edition sales figures, and current feedback via social media and every other tool at their disposal, shows them that homebrew was bigger than all the published settings combined, IIRC.

That’s way past the margin of error. And we can reasonably conclude their methodology can’t be too wack, or they wouldn’t be running the market as well as they’d have been based on that data.
25% strictly Homebrew with just the core books, 25% Homebrew with borrowing from other books, 25% Forgotten Realms, and 25% for everything else combined.

The Forgotten Realms is not just the most played Setting, but they determined that it is the most helpful for Homebrewers who want to take some material and rework it. Hence the release strategy of microsettifns with adventure material.

Sacrosanct

Slayer of Keraptis

I'm asking you where did you get that information from. When did WoTC release that information that said most players use homebrew campaign worlds instead of official ones like FR?

Parmandur

Legend
I'm asking you where did you get that information from. When did WoTC release that information that said most players use homebrew campaign worlds instead of official ones like FR?
Chris Perkins talked about this in a panel a few years ago, I got the numbers wrong:

"A great bulk of D&D players (55%) play homebrew, but about 50% of those homebrewers pillage from other settings for their own world. About 35% play in the Forgotten Realms, and then everything else takes up 10%. Very few people are running Dark Sun, Hollow World or Mystara campaigns. Greyhawk may be 5%."

I doubt that this has changed overly much, given the popularity of homebrewers like Matt Coleville or Matt Mercer out there.

Vael

Adventurer
For DnD: I think I just want to speed up production, which means hire more staff. Whatever they've got planned for Psionics, I want it sooner rather than later. UA's for testing non-core races, like Thri-kreen, for example.

MTG: Bring the prices of Magic down. In the words of Adam Savidan, "Eff It, Reprint Everything". I have mixed opinions on the Reserved List, but in general, I want this hobby to be more affordable.

Advertisement