• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC -- Worst Excerpt EVAR!

Kerrick

First Post
Well, since all the previews are giving me 500 errors, I can't comment on any of them. But personally, I was expecting a big book of magic items (of which there are not nearly enough), not monsters (got plenty of those), PrCs (WAY too many of those), feats (enough), and/or spells (I could see including them if they're required for some of those new items). I don't know - I'll reserve judgment until I see it on the shelves - but posting the stats for a mind flayer as a preview for magic items book doesn't make much sense to me.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Editoral nature of Legacy...*darn, not good enough*

But anyway, just a question, why the title of 'Legacy', what is soooo grand about it, in the first place?

GVDammerung

First Post
Reading the Desert Wind excerpt, my first thoughts are:

Weapon of Legacy = Sorta PrC for Items; or

Weapon of Legacy = Sorta Template for Items.

I'm thrilled beyond expression with the possibility of perhaps being able to variously "of Legacy" swords, boots, wands, rings, toenail clippers etc. Items were so dull, before. A staff of the magi or ring of shooting stars was just - nothing. Now, I can power it up! About darn time. :\

Allandaros

Explorer
Just wondering - if the illithid they're legacizing is supposed to be unique, and has a unique history of its own, why is it listed as possibly appearing in a group with its own cult?

Rumors that this post was made for the purpose of testing out "Allandaros of Legacy" are completely treasonous.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Behold, the Greatwyrm of Legacy!

Wow, that does feel good, doesn't it.

Anyway, the earlier preview of Desert Wind caught my interest. Weapons that grow with you are an idea I like. The mind flayer just kinda makes me scratch my head.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This trumps any detractors who would seek to claim that the book is nothing but a 224 page list of weapons, and thus be worthless for any other use.

Yeah, but it opens the floor to criticism about how pages are wasted on templating mindflayers with a handful of special powers when those pages could be used on something more useful, like the weapons. The book is called WEAPONS of legacy, after all!!!!!!!!!!

Funfact: no matter what you do, people will detract you. ;)

a*hem.

-- Paragon Epic Kamikaze Midget of Legacy and Legend

Zeit

Explorer
Ah, and here I thought they would show something akin to the Scion classes/weapons from Unearthed Arcana. Well, maybe in the full book.

Seule

Explorer
I think this book has me less excited than any core D&D release since... erm, the Book of Challenges. I normally pick up every book for D&D from Wizards, and I think I'll be giving it a pass. So far it looks like a way to build your character around a weapon, and that smacks of losing creative control over your concept, to me. You can't build your character around one of these unless your DM allows you to start with it, and if it comes up later in a campaign , it'll trump whatever concept you had for your character.

Now, I may well be wrong, but that's my impression so far. Cool idea, but not useable in any realistic way in 90% of campaigns.

On the other hand, WotC has a tradition of consistently excellent books, at least in conceptual terms, so we'll see...

--Seule of Legacy

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads