D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Olrox17

Hero
As a general reminder, this thread stems from D&D lead developer saying that he and other staff at WotC are sympathetic to and have a similar persuasion as people who voiced the opinion that D&D’s handling of some of it’s races and cultures is problematic.
You know, the more i think of it, the more I realize that's the only possible answer they could have given. Anything less than that, at this very moment, would've caused a violent crapstorm.
Please tell me how this situation is like the Satanic Panic again?
Both are the consequence of a strong popular response to a shocking event, leading to a demand for change of some sort. I'm not going to pretend they're the exact same thing (if anything, the current situation is more globally relevant), but there are similarities.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, it is. It is a real problem, that's why the US is facing riots in the streets. D&D has nothing to do with it though, it's an innocent bystander.

When an entire culture has failed to notice or act upon a major issue that we've been told about for decades, there's a strong argument that for any part of that culture, "innocent bystander," is at best, "Didn't intentionally make it worse." Simply continuing on as if the problem isn't your concern is part of the problem. Or, in the terms used in those protests - "Silence is violence."

TheSword

Legend
Yes, it is. It is a real problem, that's why the US is facing riots in the streets. D&D has nothing to do with it though, it's an innocent bystander. It's getting unfairly scrutinized and misjudged because everyone in the US is (understandably) upset, including tabletop gamers.

I agree that this is a risk, if taken to the extremes. However I really don’t think the designers are acting extremely. They are indicating a general inclination to broaden interpretations of race.

No one is coming along to ‘steal your orcs’

Olrox17

Hero
When an entire culture has failed to notice or act upon a major issue that we've been told about for decades, there's a strong argument that for any part of that culture, "innocent bystander," is at best, "Didn't intentionally make it worse." Simply continuing on as if the problem isn't your concern is part of the problem. Or, in the terms used in those protests - "Silence is violence."
Umbran, why is anyone noticing and criticizing racist undertones in D&D now? 5e has been out for, what, 6 years. Was racism ok 5 years ago? Of course not. Why is everyone taking notice and being outraged right now?
Maybe people are shocked, angry, sad, and that makes them a bit less objective?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is no corollary between a fantasy monsters and the real world.

Seriously? Go look up the term "allegory". Go double check on the term "symbolism". Please go read about how Tolkien's experience in WWI inspired Lord of the Rings, and how Game of Thrones is modeled on the War of the Roses. Go study how genre fictions tend to follow the general fears of the times in which they are written.

Fantasy stories come from people. People are concerned with the real world, so that real world is seen in our stories.

Umbran, why is anyone noticing and criticizing racist undertones in D&D now? 5e has been out for, what, 6 years. Was racism ok 5 years ago? Of course not. Why is everyone taking notice and being outraged right now?
Maybe people are shocked, angry, sad, and that makes them a bit less objective?
Progressiveness needs time. Just ignore if you find it too much a stink.

I'll grant you Akabar Bel Akash counts for something, though unless there's an edition I don't know about, he does not appear on the covers of Curse of the Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, or Song of the Saurials.

Deekin is a Kobold, though, unless I misremember. Fantan, Valygar, and Yoshimo do not appear until Baldur's Gate 2, which came out in 2000.

I did some more research last night, and Theros Ironfeld was illustrated in 1987 by Keith Parkinson, though the character appeared earlier in the Dragonlance books. Riverwind, too presents and is depicted as a Native American analog (though not always, I might point out). He also is a main character, too.

1592405192918.png

In the Realms, Vajra Valmeyjar (of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons comic book) appeared in 1988.

1592405355447.png

I am so focused on artistic depictions because one can never underestimate the ability of readers and artists to whitewash a character. Just look at how many times Ged from A Wizard of Earthsea has been depicted as white. Or even Leigh Brackett's Eric John Stark (not even a true POC, but a man "burned black by the sun of Mars"). Heck, remember when people got mad because Rue was black in the Hunger Games movie, even though the text specifically mentioned her skin color?

I believe all of them appear in art. Deekin, Fantan, Valygar and Yoshimo are all over the internet and in the video games. I think Akash is on one of the covers of the Azure Bonds novels and maybe one of the 1980s video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads