• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Agreed. While I'd love to know what changes they've made to Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, this is the bit that really has me excited:
Just rereading the piece you've quoted, I wonder if they will be using origin or folk instead of race going forward. As much as I know they really don't want to re-release the PHB, I feel like if they are making sweeping changes to how you can customise your race/origin that they really should do a re-release to incorporate these changes.

I'm curious about the tomb of annihilation and curse of strahd changes as well. I know the vistani have apparently been problematic though I don't really know much if anything about romani culture to know what the problems are.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Asians have an advantage nowadays as well after the propoganda that we spread about them being "Model Immigrants".

I'm self censoring here but will only add that treating groups as diverse as white or Asian as monolithic instead of as individuals is totally racist.

Last edited:

Rygar

Explorer
Wow, that statement from them is a trainwreck.

1. Letting Twitter and Tumblr edit your books for you is monumentally foolish. Especially since it won't take long for people to realize all they need is shill account and they can easily troll WOTC into changing their books over fake outrage.

2. Homegenized classes caused 4th edition to tank. Homegenized races will do the same. Making it so Players are picking a cosmetic word on a character sheet that does absolutely nothing, so they can then just pick whatever bonuses suit them will be a field day for powergamers who'll turn games into power trips. People are going to start leaving pretty quickly.

3. So now we need to hire people to tell us how to present Gypsies in a fantasy world? Seriously?? And we don't think the end result of this will be a group of perfect humans with no drawbacks or liabilities?

4. I'm guessing no one ran that last bullet point past legal. It's illegal to discriminate in the US based on a number of qualities. Announcing that you're going to make hiring/contract decisions based on the qualities that are illegal to make hiring/contract decisions upon is a degree of poor judgement that's going to be nearly impossible to exceed. WOTC and Hasbro just guaranteed themselves of at least one, and probably more, lawsuit where they'll be settling for millions of dollars for discrimination in hiring practices.

The number of truly bad business decisions coming out of WOTC these past couple of weeks is astounding. I'm firmly convinced WOTC will be folded within the next year. I doubt Magic's going to make it much longer since it's a political platform now, and without that, the D&D market isn't going to keep Hasbro funding them. Especially when they're announcing they want to be sued for discrimination.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm self censoring here but will only add that treating groups as diverse as white or Asian as monolithic instead of as individuals is totally racist.
Sorry that I made a generalization, but that was because I was referring to a generalization that Americans made. I'm not racist, I was referencing those that were and are. I agree, it's totally racist to say that "all asians are good at math and have good family standards" especially when we have treated other races very poorly, including asians as a whole. We put Asians in internment camps, banned Chinese immigrants, still have a bias against Muslims, and many more occasions of this.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Okay, but like, given Japan went on an a spree of being militant conquerors in the late 1800s and up until the end of WW2, maybe it's not that bad? Japanese-Americans do face a lot of prejudice (less so elsewhere I think)

Would it be perhaps cooler if he was a quasi-knight, or a quasi-conquistador or the like? Yeah probably. And normally Hobgoblins now are quasi-Roman, which is perfect, but I think it could be a lot worse.

The issue, I suppose, is more that they're going for "exotic" and putting it on a badguy race. Especially as the "Roman Hobgoblin" thing is so well-established at this point.

I got a fair amount of people responding to my hobgoblin comment with various arguments of "not all bad" or "it's not really racist" or "would you prefer all villains be European," but you're the first so I'll respond to you.

It's not just that the hobgoblins are sort-of Japanese in appearance, it's that they take all of the negative of samurai and none of the positive. The negative being, a militant warrior culture. But it doesn't include the positives, such as many samurai being learned poets or artists.

This is especially problematic when you have a race that almost everyone a part of is evil. And I'll add, I don't think all races have this problem; D&D goblins for example seem pretty culturally neutral, and are more of a reflection of a type of person (weak, cowardly, cruel) than a group of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads